GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Haldex issue?

hotchicken

Ready to race!
With great help from you all I believe I am sure now that my clutch slipping is not the issue. The main clue that it's not is the rough shuddering I get when whatever this is happening happens. I'm thinking this is front wheel hop, even though I find it odd that there is no tire squealing noise at all.

What is also odd to me is that this can happen at 60MPH. I go to 3rd gear and punch it, and from around 4000 to 4500 I get the 500 or so RPM jump and the shuddering, then it stops and the car carries on.

No ECS light comes on or flashes. As best I can tell it behaves the same whether ECS is on or disabled.

I do sometimes see the gear number in the upper right drop out when this happens, but not every time. Not sure what that means.
Stock Continental summer tires with good tread left. Maybe summers don't squeal like all season tires? Never had summer tires before.

Is an APR Stage 1 R strong enough to spin the front wheels at 60 mph?

If so, this apparently suggests a Haldex issue from what I am reading.

Anyone know which warranty Haldex falls under - the 36K bumper to bumper, or the 60K drivetrain? Can't seem to pin it down. If it may be warrantied then I'd go to the dealer. They have not been great though, so if not warrantied I would go to the local VAG performance shop.

hotchicken

Ready to race!
Haldex is part of the drivetrain. Hopefully the dealer doesn’t detect your APR tune.

Yes, I finally figured that out. Includes transfer cases, etc. This dealer does not seem to be anti-tune. They have made some comments about how they would have to prove that the tune caused the damage in order to deny a claim.

madface1

Go Kart Newbie
I remember seeing a thread a while ago with someone describing something similar and it ended up being the rear main seal leaking. Oil gets on the clutch disk but once the clutch slips on it, it pushes it off and then it would grab fine.

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
It's very easy to check if you have a haldex issue or not. Just do a hard takeoff from a stop on a low grip surface (grass, gravel, slick wet concrete). Doesn't have to be a full-on LC start, just full throttle.

Have someone outside watch your rear wheels, if they are spinning (slipping) like the front, then your haldex is working normally and you have AWD. If your rear wheels are not spinning you have probably have a haldex problem.

There are other possible causes for this issue, but almost all cases are haldex related.

hotchicken

Ready to race!
Seems more like a slip as of yesterday. Slipping like a mother. It will barely engage in first gear, and slips in every other year with the slightest half of the accelerator. Ugh.

Shmito_R

Go Kart Champion
Ran into something similar when I first picked up my R. If you have obd eleven or vcds, you can do a pump prime and test to essentially “reset” the haldex. I was getting a lot of slippage anytime I floored it wot. From what I’ve read and gathered, sometimes the controller goes, sometimes the whole diff unit. But for quite a few people doing a simple pump prime and reset fixed the issue. Either way it’s worth a shot before full blown warranty work. Wouldn’t hurt to try...

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/31415-haldex-test/page/2/#comments

Some useful info in that thread [emoji115]

Particularly this:

With that being said...search/research is key! More thank likely if you run into any problem, there’s been quite a few who have already run into them before you and might be able to offer solutions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

hotchicken

Ready to race!
Ran into something similar when I first picked up my R. If you have obd eleven or vcds, you can do a pump prime and test to essentially “reset” the haldex. I was getting a lot of slippage anytime I floored it wot. From what I’ve read and gathered, sometimes the controller goes, sometimes the whole diff unit. But for quite a few people doing a simple pump prime and reset fixed the issue. Either way it’s worth a shot before full blown warranty work. Wouldn’t hurt to try...

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/31415-haldex-test/page/2/#comments

Some useful info in that thread [emoji115]

Particularly this:

With that being said...search/research is key! More thank likely if you run into any problem, there’s been quite a few who have already run into them before you and might be able to offer solutions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. I have searched around, but I did not find this information. Sometimes it’s a needle in a haystack you know. I appreciate it though.