GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Haldex fluid change with applesauce gunk

goonie284

Car(s)
2015 Golf R
So the Haldex service is due every 30k or 3 years from my understanding. The 2015 I just bought only had 14k miles but was past the 3 year mark so I drained the Haldex fluid and was surprised by the amount of gunk behind the pump inside the pump housing. The contamination looked grainy and clumpy up but the consistency was like that of applesauce, it was all soft and pliable.

IMG_7011.jpg

Thankfully there was virtually none inside the screen when I popped it of so it seems to be doing its job.

IMG_7007.jpg

When I pulled the ridiculously long drain bolt there was also a gob of similar contamination that popped out when it first started draining. This car has the United Motorsports Haldex tune so it most likely has a higher duty cycle than that of a stock Haldex. From what I have seen this is rather common, I can see why failing to clean this out can starve the pump and cause a failure. Thankfully this pump is so easy to access!

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
I haven't seen photos of the applesauce that I can recall, but its a good thing you changed it that looks gross. With the haldex tune that's probably why? Not sure.

The drain and fill is easy to do on the haldex, I did mine as well.

goonie284

Car(s)
2015 Golf R
I haven't seen photos of the applesauce that I can recall, but its a good thing you changed it that looks gross. With the haldex tune that's probably why? Not sure.

The drain and fill is easy to do on the haldex, I did mine as well.

I saw a handful pop up in google images when I searched MK7 haldex fluid change.Buildup of that contamination on the pump screen seems to be a common cause of pump failure.