1 - WRX - 88.34 sec.
2 - GTI - 88.54 sec.
3 - Focus ST - 89.68 sec.
4 - Cooper S - 90.93 sec.
5 - Civic Si - 92.46 sec.

Last edited:

CaptObvious75

Ready to race!
Wrx is a great machine. Their interior is pretty good too. Not GTI interior, but not spartan either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hooklyn

Banned
That WRX is quick tho. Nice numbers for the GTI.

It sure gets off the line quick but did you see the 30-100 time? Actually slower than the GTI. Even though it has 48 more hp.

The GTI is a huge win to me when looking at that data. It literally does everything best of that entire group as a whole car.

Passenger volume, cargo volume, gas mileage, performance, handling, braking, features/amenities, quality, etc.

It is actually amazing just how good the Mk7 GTI is. It is an actual and viable competitor for a BMW 228i M-Sport in almost every way but is $5k-$10k less than that car. It's nuts.

Mk7 GTI PP
- 0-60 in 5.7 and 1/4 mile in 14.2 at 100mph
- 30-100 in 12.0 sec.
- 60-0 in 100 ft.
- 0.96g Grip
- 25.1 sec. Figure-8

228i M-Sport
- 0-60 in 5.0 and 1/4 mile in 13.8 at 98mph
- 30-100 in 12.1 sec.
- 60-0 in 106 ft.
- 0.90g Skidpad
- 25.8 sec. Figure-8

M235i
- 0-60 in 4.4 and 1/4 mile in 13.0 at 106mph
- 30-100 in 9.5 sec.
- 60-0 in 103 ft.
- 0.97g Skidpad
- 24.9 sec. Figure-8

And I think the REST of the GTI is more on par with the 2-Series as well when it comes to its 'premium/luxury-ness'...

CH2015GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Wrx is a great machine. Their interior is pretty good too. Not GTI interior, but not spartan either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The WRX interior is awful. Hard, cheap, drab, monotone plastic everywhere. The doors feel like they are made of plastic. No heft to anything. The worst part of the WRX is the awful lag however. Until you have it on boil after 2600RPM, you have a vehicle that cannot outrun a Yaris. Below 2600RPM it's literally the most weak feeling engine I've felt in modern times. I looked at the spec sheet scratching my head how Subaru made a twin-scroll turbocharged engine have such terrible lag. VW uses mono-scroll turbos in the EA888 GenIII and it has essentially no lag and loves to be revved. I was not impressed with the Rex at all. The MINI Cooper S is so boring now too. BMW ruined the brand with the new model. It's too much BMW and too little MINI. Whereas E46 and E9x 3's were fantastic, the F30 moved into the Toyota Camry clone machine and stepped out a dull, soft, expensive, cheaply made sedan that is quick in a straight line but leaves the fun at the door. The F56 MINI Cooper S is the same way. I just traded my 2011 R56 S hatch in for the MkVII, and I loved my MINI. The new car has NO exhaust or engine sound, it's suspension has been coated in blubber, and the interior is lacking any real connection to other parts of the car. Not to mention Anders Warming ruined the look of the MINI with the worst looking grille this side of Lexus'. I'm really sad this is what happened between R56 to F56, but I'm so glad VW really poured it's heart and soul into making the GTI MKVII the best hot hatch around. It's interior is so far ahead of anything under $50K, and everything is done with such precision and forethought. I don't think VW has anything to worry about when it comes down to what actually is competitive. US consumers just have to realize that hatchbacks are where it's at. There is no reason VW isn't selling more Golf's because they truly have a fantastic product.

Jesus Christ

Passed Driver's Ed
The WRX interior is awful. Hard, cheap, drab, monotone plastic everywhere. The doors feel like they are made of plastic. No heft to anything. The worst part of the WRX is the awful lag however. Until you have it on boil after 2600RPM, you have a vehicle that cannot outrun a Yaris. Below 2600RPM it's literally the most weak feeling engine I've felt in modern times. I looked at the spec sheet scratching my head how Subaru made a twin-scroll turbocharged engine have such terrible lag. VW uses mono-scroll turbos in the EA888 GenIII and it has essentially no lag and loves to be revved. I was not impressed with the Rex at all. The MINI Cooper S is so boring now too. BMW ruined the brand with the new model. It's too much BMW and too little MINI. Whereas E46 and E9x 3's were fantastic, the F30 moved into the Toyota Camry clone machine and stepped out a dull, soft, expensive, cheaply made sedan that is quick in a straight line but leaves the fun at the door. The F56 MINI Cooper S is the same way. I just traded my 2011 R56 S hatch in for the MkVII, and I loved my MINI. The new car has NO exhaust or engine sound, it's suspension has been coated in blubber, and the interior is lacking any real connection to other parts of the car. Not to mention Anders Warming ruined the look of the MINI with the worst looking grille this side of Lexus'. I'm really sad this is what happened between R56 to F56, but I'm so glad Jose and Paco really poured their heart and soul into making the GTI MKVII the best hot hatch around. It's interior is so far ahead of anything under $50K, and everything is done with such precision and forethought. I don't think VW has anything to worry about when it comes down to what actually is competitive. US consumers just have to realize that hatchbacks are where it's at. There is no reason VW isn't selling more Golf's because they truly have a fantastic product.
Fixed ;)

And I agree, turbo boxer engines suck.

CH2015GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Fixed ;)

And I agree, turbo boxer engines suck.

Did you see the German part content on MkVII's? It's basically just assembled in Mexico. It's parts aren't made there for the most part.Its not turbo boxer engines that suck, it's Subaru's engineering team. I'm sure the new Porsche turbo-4's will be silky smooth and have endless thrust. Subaru didn't work on lag at all.

Last edited:

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
The WRX interior is awful. Hard, cheap, drab, monotone plastic everywhere. The doors feel like they are made of plastic. No heft to anything. The worst part of the WRX is the awful lag however. Until you have it on boil after 2600RPM, you have a vehicle that cannot outrun a Yaris. Below 2600RPM it's literally the most weak feeling engine I've felt in modern times. I looked at the spec sheet scratching my head how Subaru made a twin-scroll turbocharged engine have such terrible lag. VW uses mono-scroll turbos in the EA888 GenIII and it has essentially no lag and loves to be revved. I was not impressed with the Rex at all. The MINI Cooper S is so boring now too. BMW ruined the brand with the new model. It's too much BMW and too little MINI. Whereas E46 and E9x 3's were fantastic, the F30 moved into the Toyota Camry clone machine and stepped out a dull, soft, expensive, cheaply made sedan that is quick in a straight line but leaves the fun at the door. The F56 MINI Cooper S is the same way. I just traded my 2011 R56 S hatch in for the MkVII, and I loved my MINI. The new car has NO exhaust or engine sound, it's suspension has been coated in blubber, and the interior is lacking any real connection to other parts of the car. Not to mention Anders Warming ruined the look of the MINI with the worst looking grille this side of Lexus'. I'm really sad this is what happened between R56 to F56, but I'm so glad VW really poured it's heart and soul into making the GTI MKVII the best hot hatch around. It's interior is so far ahead of anything under $50K, and everything is done with such precision and forethought. I don't think VW has anything to worry about when it comes down to what actually is competitive. US consumers just have to realize that hatchbacks are where it's at. There is no reason VW isn't selling more Golf's because they truly have a fantastic product.

I agree with these statements, but the WRX with a proper exhaust system sounds so good that it almost makes up for the overall crappiness of the vehicle. Almost.

You hit the nail on the head about the new Mini, it's like BMW didn't realize what made it popular in the first place at all.

Yeah turbo's suck for real..

Yeah, engines too in general. Walking is where it's at.

Jesus Christ

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah turbo's suck for real..
Reading comprehension > you
Did you see the German part content on MkVII's? It's basically just assembled in Mexico. It's parts aren't made there for the most part.Its not turbo boxer engines that suck, it's Subaru's engineering team. I'm sure the new Porsche turbo-4's will be silky smooth and have endless thrust. Subaru didn't work on lag at all.
I misspoke, I was referring to Subaru's layout, I'm positive Porsche will do it right.

Nyanga

Ready to race!
CH2015GTI,

Very knowledgeable and good analysis.