GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI Shock absorber advice please

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
Here in the UK we have a number of owners that have the rear suspension noise that originates from the shock absorbers (non DCC). Despite everything that we are doing to have VW sort this problem out, we are getting nowhere due to their arrogant stance on this issue. As you may have read from my previous posts, VWUK consider the matter closed as they believe the rattle from the shock absorbers is a characteristic of the car.

Now I wish to fit another make of shock absorber to the rear only and I am looking for advice on what to fit without letting myself in for a rock hard ride (I am not so young anymore). I dont want to go down the route of coilovers though I have considered the KW Street Comfort if I have no other option.

If anyone has some good advice on simply replacing the rear shocks while maintaining the original springs then please let me know.

Rich

Last edited:

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
Just an update as VW can not solve their "characteristic of the model" as they refer to the rattle from the standard shock absorbers I have found OEM replacements from Bilstein. Type B4 model 19-230559.

The difference is amazing and now two weeks down the line and no more rattles or "rolling log" noise.

Price anywhere from £100 to £150 and it transforms the car. If you have the dreaded rattle then just use these as it instantly resolves an issue that Volkswagen apparently can not fix.

I am at last happy after 12 months of misery and banging my head against a brick wall with VWUK whose attitude toward this issue was downright appalling.

If you have this noise issue then forget VW and buy your own, or tell the dealer to buy them for you. Don't put up with the bullshit and incompetence of VWUK, who believe the only solution is to keep changing shock absorbers a number of times in the belief that eventually they might find a set that does not make a noise.

I bought mine from Demon Tweeks in the UK www.demon-tweeks.co.uk

Last edited: