GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gti Neuspeed sway bar install

dr.jfowler

Ok, got my sway bar, went to install it... Only to find out that in order to get a triple square on the end link bolt, I'm going to have to drop the rear suspension to get the nut off. Then, in the ultimate catch 22, I have to have the suspension loaded to get the sway bar off. This means that I would have to disassemble the suspension, pull the nut, reassemble it, take off the sway bar, then put in the new sway bar. Then, I'd have to disassemble the suspension again to replace that nut. What's up with this? Anyone able to comment? Thinking of getting coilovers this spring, maybe I'll do this then, but what gives?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

dr.jfowler

The problem is that when I put my impact on the nut, the whole thing turns. I'll have to put a triple square in the end of the bolt and a box end on the nut to break it loose... That's when it becomes apparent that the spring is in the way. I do have it up on ramps, so the suspension is loaded... ?

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
You definitely don't need to remove the springs to get the sway out. I don't have ramps so I just put the rear up on jack stands and then jacked up the lower control arms just enough to release the tension. Once you're past that you will then need to lower the muffler to get the sway out. And don't waste your time trying to get the brackets off the bar until the sway is all the way out.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
It's great that you have the car on ramps and it's preloaded. What I did was unbolt the endlinks from the control arms. Then if you have the lighting package unbolt the height sensor, unbolt the sway bar mounts and now lower your muffler by unbolting the muffler mounts. Pull out the sway bar, take off the endlinks and install them onto the new bar. Reverse instructions for install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Krautburner

Ready to race!
It's great that you have the car on ramps and it's preloaded. What I did was unbolt the endlinks from the control arms. Then if you have the lighting package unbolt the height sensor, unbolt the sway bar mounts and now lower your muffler by unbolting the muffler mounts. Pull out the sway bar, take off the endlinks and install them onto the new bar. Reverse instructions for install.

^This.

Panzrwagn

THe good news is that the triple square (11mm if memory serves) isn't that hard to come by. Craftsman sells a set for about $30, and the also sell singles. Harbor Freight has the as well (the usual Harbor Freight guffaw and consumer warning notwithstanding, I know several mechanics, contractors and other pros that shop there. For example, they are the only place I know that stocks stainless steel tie-wraps, an important upgrade on certain era Porsches).

Mbarton36

Ready to race!
For those of you that have installed the neuspeed 25mm rear sway bar: what are your thoughts? Install looks pretty straight forward provided you have the correct tools. Noticeable difference during straight line driving or is it just noticed in the turns? Thanks in advance

DanJoy

Ready to race!
Is the car already lowered? I had the same problem last week. The coils for the rear spring were blocking the end of the end link. I had just enough room to put the M6 triple square bit in the passenger side end link and hold it with an 8mm wrench. Ok the drivers side I didn't even have enough room to fit the triple square bit without hitting a coil. The Neuspeed directions say you can use a 5mm Allen in the end link, and it has just enough play that I could wiggle it into the endlink.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
I used the triple square and open end ratchet to take off the sway bar. I had to end up jacking the tire on one side to get the OEM sway bar off completely. Then unload it to put the sway bar in and line up the bushings. It took longer than it should have but it's on. Once the bolts are tight, you can then you a torque wrench. IIRC 35 ft/lbs on the end and 15 ft/lb + .25 turn on the bushing mounts.

DanJoy

Ready to race!
Installed mine yesterday. Taking off the light level sensor and dropping the exhaust made it really easy to fish it out with the end links still attached.

Fun fact, once you pull the long end link bolt out of the control arm you can use it to hold the exhaust up. Not sure if it's the exact same thread pitch but I only screwed it in a few threads. I wasn't comfortable just letting the cat back hang there. With one side loosened with the stock bolt and the other hanging on the end link bolt the bar came right out.

dr.jfowler

Ok, I installed this, just getting around to posting here. I did end up pulling the end links from the control arm, which made everything easy. I found that, as most have said, dropping the muffler helped. Overall, not too bad. Maybe 1 hour of work.

A couple of notes though..

1-I think you would be wise to study the orientation of the old one, maybe snap a few pics before it comes out. I found I was second guessing myself on orientation when I installed the new one.

2- my end links were rusted on badly. I actually broke the wall of one with the triple square. Spray some PB Blaster on there before you get going, and save yourself some headache.

3- use the lithium grease liberally. It made things easier for the bushing to be able to rotate around the bar.

I have to say, this made a huge difference in the way the car handles. Such a great mod!