GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gti brakes creaking when breaking in reverse

Tacomonster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2019
I notice that every time I back out and have to use my brakes at low speeds, my brakes would cause a loud grumbling sound. The weird thing is when I’m driving normally, (including braking) there’s no sound or vibrations. I thought it may be warped rotors but that would cause vibration and noise when braking at highway speeds. I currently have 3k miles on it. What could this be and is it normal?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Normal, my car has always done that...well not what I would describe as "creaking" but they are audible in reverse

starsmith

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Urano Grey GTI
In wet weather I find my rotors corrode in an uneven pattern while parked, so next time I start up I get a little wumpf every time the wheel goes round while braking. This is most noticeable when initially backing out, and goes away after you've braked enough to rub off the corrosion. I find the uneven pattern is exacerbated if you use the parking brake, because the corrosion assumes the shape of the pad against the rotor. Maybe this is what you're experiencing? It's pretty benign if so.

Last edited:

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
I have something similar, backing out of the garage I have to make a turn to clear the house. Most of the time I get a creaking noise when on the brakes with the wheel turned. I checked for rubbing and there wasn't any. I have an service appt on tuesday and I am planning on asking them to check it because I heard there were some bad bearings out int he wild.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
There’s been lots of discussion on this on the VW Polo forum. Quite a few Polo GTI owners experience a noise from the rear brakes while applying the brakes when reversing - sounds almost like a cow mooing.

It only seems to happen on my Polo GTI+ if the brake discs / rotors have got damp and the usual thin layer of rust has formed on the surface of the brake discs. In the five months that I’ve owned the car it’s probably not made the noise when reversing more than 5-6 times.

Last edited:

Tacomonster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2019
I have something similar, backing out of the garage I have to make a turn to clear the house. Most of the time I get a creaking noise when on the brakes with the wheel turned. I checked for rubbing and there wasn't any. I have an service appt on tuesday and I am planning on asking them to check it because I heard there were some bad bearings out int he wild.
I heard about the bad bearings which was why I thought to ask here. Glad to hear it’s normal.