GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTD starting Problems

Dbriggs85

Car(s)
GOLF GTD MK7
Thanks for the reply. How long have you been having the issue for? I've only had the car for a month or so and everything else is brilliant, but this start problem really irks me.
I’ve had it from I’ve owned it which is almost a year now, I’m in the same boat as you, I love the car but this really irritates me, mine is very random, I’ve been taking a note of when it happens (trying my best to establish a pattern) but I can’t think of a cause or something I’ve done differently on those occasions, I’ve seen the cranking happen 2 days in a row and then not occur again for 2 weeks

JohnnyGTD

Car(s)
2014 Golf GTD
I’ve had it from I’ve owned it which is almost a year now, I’m in the same boat as you, I love the car but this really irritates me, mine is very random, I’ve been taking a note of when it happens (trying my best to establish a pattern) but I can’t think of a cause or something I’ve done differently on those occasions, I’ve seen the cranking happen 2 days in a row and then not occur again for 2 weeks
Has the crank ever gone on for so long it caused an error? Occasionally mine will last for what feels like an age, the crank sound slows down as I assume it is draining the battery and then the start/stop won't work until I've driven far enough to recharge the battery.

Dbriggs85

Car(s)
GOLF GTD MK7
Has the crank ever gone on for so long it caused an error? Occasionally mine will last for what feels like an age, the crank sound slows down as I assume it is draining the battery and then the start/stop won't work until I've driven far enough to recharge the battery.
No mine has never been that bad, most of the time it’s 3-5 seconds long. It was worse before I had the software update done, most likely the VVT but as I said a few people have said that it didn’t cure it, if you’re on Facebook there’s a great group….

Attachments

• B91F728C-A27E-44A5-8A0A-B83965E2640E.jpeg
    B91F728C-A27E-44A5-8A0A-B83965E2640E.jpeg
    658.4 KB · Views: 99

JohnnyGTD

Car(s)
2014 Golf GTD
No mine has never been that bad, most of the time it’s 3-5 seconds long. It was worse before I had the software update done, most likely the VVT but as I said a few people have said that it didn’t cure it, if you’re on Facebook there’s a great group….
I've had a look around the internet and found a ton of theories concerning this ranging from faulty glow plugs to low charge batteries or faulty lift pumps, but no definitive answers. Given the amount of people it seems to have affected I would have hoped VW would have done something, but there we are.

This was a good thread, if you've got some time:
https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.ph...ng-crank-first-start-of-the-day.481340/page-6

In the meantime I'll take mine back to the dealer and point him in the direction of these things to see if any of that helps.

Dbriggs85

Car(s)
GOLF GTD MK7
I've had a look around the internet and found a ton of theories concerning this ranging from faulty glow plugs to low charge batteries or faulty lift pumps, but no definitive answers. Given the amount of people it seems to have affected I would have hoped VW would have done something, but there we are.

This was a good thread, if you've got some time:
https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.ph...ng-crank-first-start-of-the-day.481340/page-6

In the meantime I'll take mine back to the dealer and point him in the direction of these things to see if any of that helps.
Mine is even more puzzling because it never takes longer to start first thing in the morning, the first start is probably my best, i believe the VVT issue causes the first start to be hard every time, I can’t see the dealer doing much apart from changing the battery for you, even VW themselves will barely acknowledge it, they’re of the belief if there’s no warning lights there’s no problem

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Lth0ms0n Hi, sorry to bump an old thread but did replacing the VVT sort the issue? I've recently bought a 2014 GTD and am having the same long crank issues you describe. The dealer has changed the fuel filter and done something else to no avail. Long crank is almost every time I cold start the car and sometimes goes on for so long that the start/stop feature throws an error and will not work until the battery has sufficiently recharged. I'm looking for other things to try as I don't accept that this is how the car should start.
Sounds like you might need a new battery. Have them do a "load" test on the battery.

JohnnyGTD

Car(s)
2014 Golf GTD
Sounds like you might need a new battery. Have them do a "load" test on the battery.
I took it back and the dealer was convinced it was a crankshaft timing sensor that was throwing an error. He replaced the sensor with a new one and kept it for a few days to test and was happy with it.
Lo and behold the problem continues. I did mention the battery/glow plugs etc but he said the battery was good.
I might take it to Halfords for an independent battery check, but it looks like I might just have to live with it for now.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I took it back and the dealer was convinced it was a crankshaft timing sensor that was throwing an error. He replaced the sensor with a new one and kept it for a few days to test and was happy with it.
Lo and behold the problem continues. I did mention the battery/glow plugs etc but he said the battery was good.
I might take it to Halfords for an independent battery check, but it looks like I might just have to live with it for now.
Have them do a load test. Without the battery being under load they will often read good voltage.