GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTD starting Problems

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I’ve had such an issue where every couple weeks or thereabouts my 2014 GTD will take an extra second or 2 to start, it had done a couple of fairly lengthy cranks and I had VW install a slow start software update, I’ve had it serviced and I run it on premium diesel, I could spend hundreds on having injectors and glow plugs etc tested but I reckon I wouldn’t be any the wiser, seems I just have to put up with it
This is a well known issue:

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
Mine is like this on the odd occasion and I'm wondering if the battery is behind it also.. 70k miles on the same one, it does seem to be hit or miss as to whether or not it will actually do it.

If the glow plugs are part of the issue, why doesn't the car tell you when they're ready? My parents had a Discovery with a glow plug indicator on it and they knew not to start it until it was out...

If this is still a requirement with diesels now, why did VW miss this out?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Mine is like this on the odd occasion and I'm wondering if the battery is behind it also.. 70k miles on the same one, it does seem to be hit or miss as to whether or not it will actually do it.

If the glow plugs are part of the issue, why doesn't the car tell you when they're ready? My parents had a Discovery with a glow plug indicator on it and they knew not to start it until it was out...

It does......

The issue is nothing to do with glow plugs, it's the VVT. It's a well known problem.

Dbriggs85

Car(s)
GOLF GTD MK7

It does tell you they are ready in the sense that the glow plug light goes out, it seems to me now that there is an exact moment when to start the engine and if you start the engine a split second either side you will get a extra crank

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
It does tell you they are ready in the sense that the glow plug light goes out, it seems to me now that there is an exact moment when to start the engine and if you start the engine a split second either side you will get a extra crank
I mean I’ve noticed that but it always goes out immediately on mine so I’ve never taken any heed of it. It’s never still been lit when I’ve tried to start it and had the problem.

I guess I know what I’m doing tomorrow 😆😆

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
He mentions P00 codes in that video. Are those possible error codes reported by the car to indicate there’s a problem?

I’m considering looking at this for mine because it’s been doing it for ages. Seeing the radical way they redesign the part has me really thinking about it - mine has been doing this for the longest time and it’s annoying me.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
He mentions P00 codes in that video. Are those possible error codes reported by the car to indicate there’s a problem?

I’m considering looking at this for mine because it’s been doing it for ages. Seeing the radical way they redesign the part has me really thinking about it - mine has been doing this for the longest time and it’s annoying me.
Yeah. They won't always flag up though.

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
Yeah. They won't always flag up though.
Ok. Stupid question - if they don’t come up and all I have to go on is the starting issue, is that being the root cause a safe assumption to make? Is there anyone way of identifying it as the source of the problem, without going through all the diagnostic tests he did?

I suppose tomorrow morning I could test it myself by starting it (while timing it) running it for a few mins, switching it off and repeating the exercise again..

Given it’s a known issue, I don’t feel it’s a wild thing to assume…

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
HA! I just had a look back at the very first scan I did with my OBD11.

From the engine control unit…

9EE251F0-AADB-4AE0-9896-8FA01D915EE3.jpeg

From The Flying Dutchman

769350CA-1564-4E64-ADE2-983CCA5E2090.jpeg

So…that’s that then. 😆

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
Well, it’s good to see that VAG UK have gotten more helpful since the time they tried to tell me my Audi A1 1.4TFSI 185PS was burning oil at a rate of 1L/1000 miles “to make it more efficient”.

They pulled that engine in 2014 (I think) 🤣🤣

Tried to find a service bulletin today to confirm this is the problem and that’s the fix but of course they won’t give me that without taking it to a retailer first. 🙄

Is there anything else this feasibly COULD be caused by or do I need to look down this route solely? Intimating that I want to do this to the car (not that it matters) has my Dad in a cold sweat… 🤣🤣🤣

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Well, it’s good to see that VAG UK have gotten more helpful since the time they tried to tell me my Audi A1 1.4TFSI 185PS was burning oil at a rate of 1L/1000 miles “to make it more efficient”.

They pulled that engine in 2014 (I think) 🤣🤣

Tried to find a service bulletin today to confirm this is the problem and that’s the fix but of course they won’t give me that without taking it to a retailer first. 🙄

Is there anything else this feasibly COULD be caused by or do I need to look down this route solely? Intimating that I want to do this to the car (not that it matters) has my Dad in a cold sweat… 🤣🤣🤣
Whilst it's a known issue, it's not one that VAG have released a TSB for AFAIK.