GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ground clearance issue: Bilstein B8 and H&R sport springs

Zann

Car(s)
MK7.5 1.4TSI
Hey all,

does anyone experience any ground clearance issue with the combination of b8 dampers and h&r sport springs?

Currently im using stock dampers with h&r sport springs. It seems like I've the ground clearance issue when going through the speed humps. But I guess my stock dampers took the snooze too cuz when the springs are newly installed i didnt have these problem. So im considering replacing it with the b8 dampers but worrying about my car being too low/lower for speed humps.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks for the reply!

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Your car will be lower. B8's are upgraded dampers but shorter, specifically for use with lowering springs. B6's are upgraded dampers for stock height, which it sounds like you need. Running lowering springs on stock height dampers will decrease their lifespan. Your clearance issue will probably remain with B8's, although the B8's will be a better match for your springs.

If you feel the problem is that your stock dampers have collapsed, but you need stock-like ground clearance I would go with B6's. They aren't intended for use with lowering springs but should "handle" them better than your stock dampers.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Your car will be lower. B8's are upgraded dampers but shorter, specifically for use with lowering springs. B6's are upgraded dampers for stock height, which it sounds like you need. Running lowering springs on stock height dampers will decrease their lifespan. Your clearance issue will probably remain with B8's, although the B8's will be a better match for your springs.

If you feel the problem is that your stock dampers have collapsed, but you need stock-like ground clearance I would go with B6's. They aren't intended for use with lowering springs but should "handle" them better than your stock dampers.
He has H&R sport springs so should run B8s. B8s and B6s are identical dampers, the 8s are just 1" shorter overall, that's the only difference and it's to maintain preload on the shorter spring, not for any other reason. The B6s on a 1" shorter spring would work fine as long as there is preload. Dampers don't set ride height.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Get some B8s, your stock dampers may be done and the reason you are bottoming out on speed bumps. Dampers don't set your ride height, your springs do.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I was on APR springs and stock dampeners. Had ground clearance issues.

Installed Koni sports, first the car sits .25 in higher on same springs, second, the shocks don't collapse and bottom out causing clearance issues.

Much happier since replacing stock shocks. They're garbage.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I chose, at the time, not to engage, haha. But I will say that my rear height was different (not much, maybe .25" like you said) when I went from stock dampers to B8's on the rear of my TDI, with the same springs. That could be any combination of things, from tiredness of the old parts to needing the car to settle for a bit. But that's the difference between having ground clearance issues and not having them.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I was on APR springs and stock dampeners. Had ground clearance issues.

Installed Koni sports, first the car sits .25 in higher on same springs, second, the shocks don't collapse and bottom out causing clearance issues.

Much happier since replacing stock shocks. They're garbage.
I saw a slight increase when I did B8s on mine with H&Rs, only about 1/4" and I chalk it up to the higher-pressure gas struts adding some "preload" but my point was that overall, ride height is set by springs.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I saw a slight increase when I did B8s on mine with H&Rs, only about 1/4" and I chalk it up to the higher-pressure gas struts adding some "preload" but my point was that overall, ride height is set by springs.

Agreed, but good high pressure gas struts seem to make about a 1/4 in difference in height. My springs were already settled and after 2 autocrosses and a time trial on the konis, it's still 1/4 higher.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I agree the B8's should be run with lowering springs. I only mentioned the B6's because the OP is concerned with ground clearance, not because they are the right match for the springs.

OP also didn't mention how long between spring install and first issues with ground clearance. If it was a short time could just be the springs settling. In that case, the springs are the issue and B8's won't solve that.

TheJokker

Go Kart Newbie
There are few things as sexy as a lowered car but I will never again own one because I like sufficient ground clearance. I hated having to drive like an old lady looking out for speed bumps, road imperfections and steep inclines.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Flame suit on....

Springs don't or at least shouldn't ever settle. Once they are installed and you bounce it up and down a few times, that should be it - any "settling" should be from the bushings/hardware. My car's H&R Sport springs were at the same ride height the day I picked it up from them being installed as the day I pulled them out to put on my B8s after a year/25K miles.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
There are few things as sexy as a lowered car but I will never again own one because I like sufficient ground clearance. I hated having to drive like an old lady looking out for speed bumps, road imperfections and steep inclines.
That's why you go with moderate stuff - my H&Rs on my wagon are perfect and I don't scrape etc. 1.25" up front and only 0.5" out back - perfect.
20211220_151514.jpg

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I agree the B8's should be run with lowering springs. I only mentioned the B6's because the OP is concerned with ground clearance, not because they are the right match for the springs.

OP also didn't mention how long between spring install and first issues with ground clearance. If it was a short time could just be the springs settling. In that case, the springs are the issue and B8's won't solve that.
I'm still having an issue here - whether he runs B6s or B8s on the H&Rs has no bearing on his ride height. The 6s will just be a bit more compressed with the spring on than the 8, by 1". Overall lenght of the strut + spring is the same for both. His issue is just worn out dampers allowing the car to bounce a bit, a completely blown out stock damper *should* give the same static ride height as a new one b/c the spring rate is what is controlling this. I realize with the new dampers some see a slight increase from the higher pressure gas but that's not what's at play here as far as I can tell.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Flame suit on....

Springs don't or at least shouldn't ever settle. Once they are installed and you bounce it up and down a few times, that should be it - any "settling" should be from the bushings/hardware. My car's H&R Sport springs were at the same ride height the day I picked it up from them being installed as the day I pulled them out to put on my B8s after a year/25K miles.
I don't know whether springs should settle, although it doesn't really make a difference to me. Springs, bushings, whatever it is... allowing the suspension to settle after an install isn't something I made up 🤷‍♂️.

This was my thought process...

OP is running stock dampers with lowering springs... no initial problems but now has a ground clearance issue
- Presumably worn out stock dampers
OP is now considering B8's (which are shorter, and intended for use with lowering springs)
- Understanding that the springs are holding up the car (generally speaking) the dampers play a part as well when the suspension is compressed.
- Looking at the comparison pics from Bilstein, the B8's are (as advertised) shorter, which gives the OP less margin for ground clearance when the springs are compressed.
- I'm not predicting the OP is going to scrape (with B6's or B8's) if they only scrape now because of blown dampers, I would just prefer margin (when under load) if ground clearance is a concern.
https://www.bilstein-shocks.co.uk/b...ifference-between-bilstein-b6-and-bilstein-b8

I completely agree that when static, the shocks should have no bearing on ride height. But going over speed bumps isn't static. Assuming similar tube pressure, the margin (when under compression) before scraping is lower if running B8's. Outside of stock I've run several setups on my car, including but not limited to these combos... stock dampers/H&R sports, B6's/stock springs, B6's/H&R sports, B8's/H&R sports, B4 Damptronics/stock (GTI) springs. Ground clearance is my jam, as is wheel gap. I have plenty of both.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm still having an issue here - whether he runs B6s or B8s on the H&Rs has no bearing on his ride height. The 6s will just be a bit more compressed with the spring on than the 8, by 1". Overall lenght of the strut + spring is the same for both. His issue is just worn out dampers allowing the car to bounce a bit, a completely blown out stock damper *should* give the same static ride height as a new one b/c the spring rate is what is controlling this. I realize with the new dampers some see a slight increase from the higher pressure gas but that's not what's at play here as far as I can tell.

I agree in theory, in practice the APR springs were 1/4 higher with the koni sports than they were with blown out stockers.

Koni sports for the NC Miata did the opposite, as they aren't gas pressurized. It's why everyone uses them in CS.

🤷‍♂️