GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Grinding sound at start?

bearbear0

Car(s)
19 GTI, 19 Crosstrek
Hi,

Not sure if this is the right subforum, but I started noticing this grinding/clunking noise at crank a few days ago. Car is a 2019 GTI, all stock, roughly 10k kms on the clock.

Sound clip below

Thoughts?

mattywalker3

Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
Does sound a bit clunky, I have an 2018 GTI and mine sounds a bit rough sometimes at start, but mine has 40k miles so 64k km, but it’s not a clunking sound like that. You checked the oil? When was the last time it had an oil change?

bearbear0

Car(s)
19 GTI, 19 Crosstrek
Does sound a bit clunky, I have an 2018 GTI and mine sounds a bit rough sometimes at start, but mine has 40k miles so 64k km, but it’s not a clunking sound like that. You checked the oil? When was the last time it had an oil change?

Thanks for this. I checked the dipstick last week and oil was still at appropriate levels (between the two lines) - had roughly 3-4k until next oil change (that oil change was last fall, so maybe 10 months ago).

I scheduled and got an oil change at my indy mechanic (liqui moly) over the weekend, and it seem to have stopped. I guess moral of the story is to do more frequent oil changes.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Thanks for this. I checked the dipstick last week and oil was still at appropriate levels (between the two lines) - had roughly 3-4k until next oil change (that oil change was last fall, so maybe 10 months ago).

I scheduled and got an oil change at my indy mechanic (liqui moly) over the weekend, and it seem to have stopped. I guess moral of the story is to do more frequent oil changes.
I highly doubt it's the oil unless it was extremely low on oil and you said it isn't.