GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Grinding noise

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
whats up guys. Here’s a back story. Manual GTI, got the car with 12k miles last year. Currently at 36k now. I learned manual on this car so I’ve stalled the car a couple times in the very beginning. I got no tune, just a DP. I drive spiritedly occasionally. I dont experience any slip at all. If I floor it on any gear no slip. Rarely clutch would slip quickly when shifting into a gear like 2-3 or 3-4.

At 30k miles I’ve been getting a strange noise on the clutch if I dont give enough gas. Its literally from releasing the clutch almost half way and then giving it gas. For example, Im at a light and it turns green I’ll release the clutch bad and give it gas under 1k rpms. (I dont do this often but it happens by mistake) Doesn’t sound good at all. Its a screeching/grinding noise. Its hard to tell exactly where it’s coming from but I’m guessing under the dash and sometimes under the shifter in a way. Has been happening more frequently now. I am assuming it is the clutch but could it worse? I still got warranty. My next mod is a new clutch with a DMF flywheel. But before I install that clutch I wanna make sure its just the clutch and nothing else I should worry about. Thrust bearing bad, crank walk, I have no idea. I never owned a manual, I ride the car by myself most of the time so I dont know what type of noise it could be. Anything helps, thanks

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
How is the serpentine drive belt? It sounds like you're almost stalling it and giving it too much gas so it doesn't stall.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
before I went and replaced clutch I would get 2nd opinion. Besides this noise is there a reason you want to replace clutch?

exhaust rattle?

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
I Would check and make sure your downpipe isn't loose anywhere and its not banging against anything first. The downpipe hanger needs to be set at the correct level or it will make horrible noises.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
I dont think its the drive belt, looks good to me. Im planning on tuning my car by the end of the year, which is the reason why I want to upgrade the clutch. I was set on the RSR (non-hybrid) clutch but Im gonna go Sachs SRE just because of the great price on FCPeuro. I believe it’s not the DP making the schreeching noise, however I do get a rattling type of noise when starting the car when its cold. Driving thru 1500-3500rpm I’ll get an odd vibration coming from the engine bay. If it’s the flywheel making that noise with the clutch I’ll be satisfied it’s nothing major on the engine.