GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Great grand turing tire?

rowdyzombie

Go Kart Newbie
Hi, I currently drive an Audi A3 Sportback Etron, and using UHP-AS 235/45/17 Continental control Contact Sport SRS+ on an Enkie flow formed wheel. It is a good tire but I will need replacement soon as I only got 20k miles out of them.

I want a softer ride with better longevity and more quiet since when in ev mode the only noise is the tires.
1. KUMHOSOLUS MAJESTY 9 TA91. These are around $110 and I like the tread design but I wrote Kumhos off many years ago. 9.3/32 tread.
2. YOKOHAMAAVID ASCEND GT. They have 12/32 tread and soft/quiet.
3, PIRELLI P7 ALL SEASON PLUS 3, 11/32 tread and are the ones I am leaning towards.

Anyone use these?

plastermaster

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the P7s on my golf. 205/55/16. Left the installer with 32 PSI. In a couple days they lost pressure. I added air and in a couple days they lost pressure again. Added again and it held steady after that. I don't know if it is the installer or the tire, but I'm guessing they were reluctant to seat properly.

At the recommended pressure the tires handled poorly for normal driving on curved roads. I increased the pressure to 36 and they handle fine.

They are quiet on asphalt but noisy on concrete, especially if the surface is more pebbly. Another area of noise ratings are bumps in the road and how much they transmit into the car. For the P7s I definitely hear the little bumps in the road, but I've never had tires that filter those out. I think you have to be an experienced tire aficionado doing side by side comparisons to notice differences in that area.

I expect I will get around 40K miles out of them, and I don't push the car but I do drive a lot of curvy roads which may shorten tire life for me.

plastermaster

Passed Driver's Ed
Any time I've taken my car in for maintenance, or an occasional flat repair for some reason they let the air out of my tires. I understand that they look in the door sill and see the 32 PSI spec from the factory, and I can understand why they would fill up to 32 if they were below. What baffles me is why these shops let the air out when I come in with 36PSI and don't even say anything about it.

FidKid1

Car(s)
2015 VW Golf TDI
I use the Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate on my TDI. So far I have been very impressed with them.

rowdyzombie

Go Kart Newbie
Yes mine comes stock with 18’s and sticker says 41 psi…hard as a rock. That’s why I bought 17’s. I haven’t driven goodyears, but most touring tires have B rating for temperature. The Eagle and Exhilerate are UHP tires though.

rowdyzombie

Go Kart Newbie
Just as a follow up, I ended up getting the Yokohamas and they ride very good, lots of traction and at 12/32 tread should be long lasting.