GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R vs S3 stock suspension

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I wouldn't think there would be a difference between them, but I picked up a set of S3 rear springs to put in my fwd sportwagen. I'm using gti springs up front. I have seen pictures of Golf R springs for sale, and they have one more coil than the S3. I'm not certain because it's just a picture, but it looks like the S3 has thicker spring diameter as well. Does anyone know what the exact differences are? I do know that Neuspeed lists the golf R springs at 245 lbs/in. and according to Car and Driver, the S3 weighs a little bit more in the rear vs the R.

JCAT

Do you know if they are from a car with magride or not? The RS3 springs are different between cars with and without MR so I assume the same is true for the S3. Perhaps that is why the ones you have are different from the Golf R.

Edit: On a related note I just purchased a set of take off S3 struts, shocks, and springs (non-MR) if you want to compare them.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Do you know if they are from a car with magride or not? The RS3 springs are different between cars with and without MR so I assume the same is true for the S3. Perhaps that is why the ones you have are different from the Golf R.

Edit: On a related note I just purchased a set of take off S3 struts, shocks, and springs (non-MR) if you want to compare them.

Not sure if the car had it or not. Here is a picture of the spring to see
S3spring.jpeg

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Neuspeed sells the same part number for S3 and R applications, but that doesn't mean that there isn't more weight from the S3 in the rear. They include the rear spring pad to raise the rear if it sags a bit, and I'd bet there's a higher number of S3 owners who have used that.

I don't think they are exactly the same stock, my guess is the S3s are a bit higher rate in the rear but not significantly. Maybe by 10-15 lbs in just to keep ride height even but not enough to really change handling.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Neuspeed sells the same part number for S3 and R applications, but that doesn't mean that there isn't more weight from the S3 in the rear. They include the rear spring pad to raise the rear if it sags a bit, and I'd bet there's a higher number of S3 owners who have used that.

I don't think they are exactly the same stock, my guess is the S3s are a bit higher rate in the rear but not significantly. Maybe by 10-15 lbs in just to keep ride height even but not enough to really change handling.

From what I found was that the gti is 230 lbs/in and the R is 245 lbs/in based on what Neuspeed lists as stock. That's why I was going to use the R springs for the rear in the sportwagen. Every guy that uses the gti springs has sag and then needs to add the TT spring pad. I figured this would eliminate that need and also give me a higher rate for the additional weight. I have a set of gti rear springs as well and they have the same coil count as the S3 springs. They are a little bit taller, but the spring diameter is a little smaller. If I push my hardest on both, I can get a little more movement out of the gti springs. Juat seeing some pics of the R springs gas for sale is what threw me off. They definitely have an extra coil wind. I guess the rears are easy enough to do that I can just see how it sits. If I need to use the TT pads, I have them already.

JCAT

Here is the s3 spring next to one of my Alltrack rear springs. The s3 rear spring is 6 coils, 14mm in diameter, over a 10.5" free length. The Alltrack spring is 8 coils, 13mm in diameter, over a 15" free length.

JCAT

^^^
Not bad

Do you have the TT pads in the rear already?
That might help even out the wheel gap, as the front gap looks higher

No, I wanted to see how it sat without them first. The gap is close enough that it doesn't bother me at all but I may add the TT pads in the future given how cheap and easy it is to do.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
No, I wanted to see how it sat without them first. The gap is close enough that it doesn't bother me at all but I may add the TT pads in the future given how cheap and easy it is to do.

I'm pretty sure I have a extra set laying around here & I have no use for them anymore. Let me know if interested