GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R seats

Memongo

Car(s)
Looking to buy golf
Hey everyone, I am looking to purchase a Gti or Golf R. The only problem is i am 6 foot 7 and about 375. I was wondering how snug are the seats for big guys? I sat in the gti couple years ago and fit really well. I was also bigger then. Any info would help.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I do not believe there are differences between R and GTI seats from a fitment or headroom perspective. If an older GTI worked for you, then the MK7 should work. Best way is to check one out; would be great if you could find one to rent so you can take for a long drive.

Baka

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2014 GTI PP
+1 I think the R and GTI seats are identical.

I'm 250lbs, 6'2" and they are certainly snug. I was surprised to find they don't actually go very low at all, my head is less than 2 inches off the roof. That's probably just me though (short legs).

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Just go to a dealer and sit in both. Try regular Golf out too as the seats have less bolstering.

That being said, you may not be able to do that right now.

I know my 6'4" cousin sat in my passenger seat with no issues and the seat wasn't even all the way back. He didn't sit in driver's seat, but same range, so shouldn't be that different.

olds350

Passed Driver's Ed
Agree with the other comments, seat bolstering is going to be an issue. As for head room, get a model with out the sunroof and you should be fine. I'm 6'4 and tall in the upper body and I have plenty of room even with a helmet.

01LSi

Passed Driver's Ed
6 ft here and well under <200lbs the bolstering on a brand new GTI's leather seats was very aggressive to the point that some post purchase grief settled in. Woof.

Anyways, if you apply progressive pressure until achieving full pressure on the right spots (there's what seems to be metal tabs that keep the bolster in their form) I was successfully able to widen the bolsters rather than having my body doing it for me over several years. It's comfortable now but I do still wish they expanded even wider where the starting point of the bolsters are still. OEM Integra Type R seats did this well. Feel like Honda / Acura knows how to make a seat right but of course that's somewhat subject.

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
I don't fit in some cars either. I think you should try one on for yourself -- my bet is your head and leg room will be fine.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
6'2, 240 lbs, somewhat long-legged, seats fit me perfectly. Everybody's anatomy is different, only way to know is to go sit in/drive one.

Going back to the Mk4 .:R32 days, those Konig seats were so excruciatingly uncomfortable to me that it drove me to sell the car eventually. Any trip over 45 minutes and I needed a chiropractor. But they seemed to fit everyone else on the planet just fine. Seats are a weird thing.

Baka

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2014 GTI PP
The nice thing about VAG cars is the seats are pretty much all interchangeable. You might have to saw off a lug and swap the plugs, but a bunch of more accommodating seats will fit.

I've got a A4 B7 seat from my old car to go in if I can't stop the original giving my sciatica.

Even if you can't be arsed to get the hacksaw and soldering iron out, all the seats from the less sporty Golfs are a straight swap. All the Seat Leon, Skoda Octavia and Audi A3 seats are a straight swap too.

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Even though the R and GTI seats are essentially the same, there's a different potential benefit to the R for the OP: the R sold in the NAR does not have a sunroof, whereas many GTIs are so equipped. For a 6' 7" guy that's going to make a meaningful headroom difference.

That said, my son is also 6' 7" tall and probably pushes 300 lb. Finding a car that he fits in comfortably has always been a challenge. He's ended up driving a long line of Jeep Grand Cherokees. Yeah, not nearly as fun as the R, although if you don't mind an EPA highway rating of just 17 mpg, the 707 hp Grand Cherokee Trackhawk would probably deliver more than a few laughs! On the other hand it costs more than a pair of Golf R's.

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
The GTI and R leather seats are the same except for the perforations on the R.