GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R pricing dilemma; Dispute with dealership

sgengaro

I am very curious what people's opinion is on this.

I placed a $500 deposited for a 2016 Golf R manual in Limestone Grey with NAV/DCC in late March 2015. We agreed on $750 under MSRP.

Last week the salesman emailed and said your car will be here within three weeks and sent VIN. It is a white manual 2016 R with DCC/NAV.

Saturday I got an email that said my car had arrived.

I went to see it yesterday and decided I liked white enough to take it. The salesman (who I have always liked and who my brother and I have purchased cars from previously) wrote it up at MSRP. I said we agreed $750 under MSRP. I was told that deal is for the limestone grey car. Since the white one wasn't the car I ordered, they would not honor the $750 under MSRP. They told me I could wait for the limestone grey and they would sell it at $750 under but they have no idea when that will be.

This seems ridiculous and I amd annoyed. What are people's thoughts and what should I do?

Thanks!

Mr Juicebox

Ready to race!
Tell that dealer to suck it! Your're paying close to 40k for a vehicle and if it is not exactly who you want it, just walk away. I did that with my GTI and the next day, the dealer called me wanting to make a deal.

Elepik9

It's $750 and the car is yours or wait. Very subjective. If you told me they wanted $2K over msrp, I would have said wait. But they're selling at msrp. It also depends where you live and how much you want the car. I bought mine at sticker. Some people are getting below that but I couldn't get away with it.

MidCow3

Passed Driver's Ed
Get a new brother :D

No, seriously, He should of stood up for you and given you the $750 discount, a matter of honor and family values should go beyond making a buck.

Last edited:

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
The car they are trying to sell you is not what you put the deposit down for. They want an extra $750 for not delivering what you asked for? :crazy:

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
No, they're bumping you up the list. You ordered a limestone grey car. They got a white one in that they can quite easily sell to the next guy for MSRP.

jmlivid

Go Kart Champion
No, they're bumping you up the list. You ordered a limestone grey car. They got a white one in that they can quite easily sell to the next guy for MSRP.

^This. Since it is under a grand I would jump on it. At least they will honor the deal on THE CAR YOU ORDERED. If my dealer called me today with that deal I would be happy. I'm waiting until the first week of January to take delivery of mine. :mad:

GGray

Ready to race!

That may or may not be true at this point in time there are a enough on lots now you can find them under MSRP...

I would tell them no thanks and go find the one you want... Or wait.. I agree its not the money its the principle.

I'd walk away. And I wager they'll call back you with your price. Either way, that's pretty shitty of the dealership

sgengaro

Update

The sales manager went to dealership management and came back to me with an offer of $500 under MSRP. I give him credit and I am taking the car!
Thanks for the feedback

jmlivid

Go Kart Champion
The sales manager went to dealership management and came back to me with an offer of $500 under MSRP. I give him credit and I am taking the car!
Thanks for the feedback

Congrats! Now start thinking about all the money in Mods your going to need. :D

oldorange

Passed Driver's Ed
Nice. It reads like it worked out pretty well. There's a few different ways to look at this situation but from what I see the way that the dealer acted could have been more professional.

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion
That may or may not be true at this point in time there are a enough on lots now you can find them under MSRP...

I would tell them no thanks and go find the one you want... Or wait.. I agree its not the money its the principle.

I guess it depends on where you live. I picked one up this weekend and they literally had someone waiting for me to say no so they could get it. I paid MSRP and was happy. I guess it depends where you live.