GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R Mk7 - clutch smell - help needed

barnes19

Hi i have a golf r 15 plate on lease from vw finance - last week i noticed a clutch smell when i was in stop and start mode stuck in traffic - to cut a long strory short i contacted vw on the 6nov my 6 month warranty was up on the 5th !! took it in to vw on the Monday to be told that if they strip it down i will have to pay if they can not find a fault - i am not a boy racer and have never burnt a clutch out in my life : The car still drives and engages gear fine but the clutch smell is present - what can i do to resolve i could be looking at £1500 -

Yomny1

Ready to race!
I think a complete tear than for a smell is not a good idea. Traffic really doesn't help with manual since you have to slightly slip the clutch when moving a little in first, repeat this for severe stop and go and the clutch may let out a smell but I don't think its a reason to think anything bad happened. I say continue and enjoy your car. Same thing could happen when hitting the brakes really hard for a period of time, they may smell but that just means a little more material was burnt off, nothing to worry.