GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf r mk7.5 window tint

Keiran123

Car(s)
Golf r mk7.5
I recently bought a black mk7.5 golf r and I’m looking to get some window tint but the laws in the uk are restricting this a bit, I’m looking for something that looks good but won’t go against the law, my issue is I’m worried that a really dark back window tint with little to no front tint will look stupid but if I try to match front and back there will be no point in getting a tint? Looking for some recommendation and pictures if anyone can help please?

Attachments

• 33F9A732-1DF3-4E43-9883-9C9C29C63D7F.jpeg
    33F9A732-1DF3-4E43-9883-9C9C29C63D7F.jpeg
    893.7 KB · Views: 48

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
Are you trying to look cool or trying to cool the inside of the car? If the latter go with ceramic. Even clear it lowers the temps inside the car considerably.

Keiran123

Car(s)
Golf r mk7.5
Are you trying to look cool or trying to cool the inside of the car? If the latter go with ceramic. Even clear it lowers the temps inside the car considerably.
I love in Scotland so heat isn’t a regular issue tbh so more to look cool, it’s a black car with black wheel so going for an aggressive blacked out look but this is my first car to try and modify in anyway

Keiran123

Car(s)
Golf r mk7.5
What are the limits for your area?
From what I’ve seen on the gov website it’s 70% visibility on front, 65% visibility on front sides and no limits on rears, but I’ve spoken to a few garages etc to see prices and what they offer and have been told that front tint is illegal so they won’t do it as most cars come standard with max legal tint now anyway for front, so I’m assuming that means my car has a 30% tint all the way round already? Just need to work out what will be a good back half tint to look good, my worry is making the back too dark that it looks weird but idk if that’s just me thinking too much as I’ve not got any experience with modifying cars or being around too many of them as my interest in cars only started when I turned 20 so just over a year ago

HalfGerman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Here in NH were are not allowed tint on the drivers and passengers windows, 35% behind the drivers head. Had my rear windows tinted and went with 40%. Not too dark for me. Although tint varies, looks similar to what is on most SUV's.

Mikejt1954

Passed Driver's Ed
I recently bought a black mk7.5 golf r and I’m looking to get some window tint but the laws in the uk are restricting this a bit, I’m looking for something that looks good but won’t go against the law, my issue is I’m worried that a really dark back window tint with little to no front tint will look stupid but if I try to match front and back there will be no point in getting a tint? Looking for some recommendation and pictures if anyone can help please?
Had a rear window tint in an earlier GTI. The combination of tint, dust on the outside of the glass, sunglasses, and the rear view mirror designed to reduce glare made it impossible to see out the rear either day or night. I’d advise against. Just my opinion

vu.

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf GTI (Sold)
I have 35% ceramic on all windows including front windshield.

Personally I think that is a good medium for those wanting tints that isn't so dark and won't attract cops.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI

martinm0

Looks good, thanks for the reply, looks a lot better and darker than I thought 35 would. Definitely something to think about then. I was thinking it would need to be like 60% before I started to look like that
Thanks! So...this is where I was confused with tinting. 35% is how much light is let in and not the darkness of the tint. So it's really more like 65 on a scale of 0-100 (100 being darkest/black).

EDIT: My tint is actually 30% (not 35%).

This is also ceramic. So far it's great. Seems like good heat rejection by comparison.

Here's a link to a website where you can see the different tint percentage: https://sunstoppers.com/customize-your-car/

Last edited: