GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R mk7.5 Stop Start Every Time?

Silver420

Car(s)
MK7.5 Golf R
Hi all,

I've had my Golf R 7.5 for a good few months now, and the first time I drove it, I disabled stop-start and never had to do it again. I always assumed that on the MK7, it just remembered your choice/preference.

The last couple of days, I have to do it on each ignition. I've Googled it and unless I'm mistaken everyone says this is the way it's supposed to be on the MK7.5. Confused.

Am I missing something as mine has always been off since I first switched it off, and now every time I turn the engine on, I've got to press the button again which is a bit annoying.

Is there a setting that has reset or?

P.S I dont want to do the hacks that bring up error messages, although I do find it weird that it worked for so long just by pressing the button and now it doesnt anymore.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Having to turn off start/shop with every ignition cycle is normal behavior. For US based cars, at least.

Had the car serviced recently, possible they flashed/re enable stock / updated behavior to the car? I would assume the nanny state, would sternly frown upon having start/stop behavior modified, and be inclined to check and change it back for increasingly stern people...ahem emissions, excuse me....control agenda

If it was any other way, it was likely modified, confirm you are the first and only owner? There are a couple ways to change the start/stop behavior, the search function on the forum and google will help out finding them.

Last edited:

MadMenR

Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I believe the o ly way to change it to default off is via OBDeleven or other coding?

Silver420

Car(s)
MK7.5 Golf R
I'm based in the UK. I'm the 2nd owner, and since I've had it, it's not been into a garage for a service or any other work. Nobody else has had access to the car.

I just find it strange that it's worked for so long this way and now doesn't.

I have seen threads on how to modify the behaviour, but they seem to throw some kind of error message within the media unit which isnt ideal. The thing I don't get is how the behaviour has changed. And no, the battery has never died (incase anyone is wondering) so if it was some kind of software mod, you'd assume it would still be active now.

Can anyone confirm, for UK based models, it doesnt remember the last state and has to be set on each turn of the ignition?

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter where in the world it is - the default behavior is to always be enabled every start. The only way I have found to consistently disable it is to be in Sport mode and set the transmission into Sport as well and, for quite a while that worked great. Never stopped. I was happy.

Then at some point it changed and I believe it was when I changed the battery but can't recall. Even when in Sport/Sport (I always am in a custom mode, by the way) it started to shut off at stop lights. So, after a while of trying to figure out what was going on, I coded it out using OBD11 and it's always off now with on errors or codes thrown in a scan or on the dash. Happy again.

I am not a fan of the underlying programming of this car as it seems to be oddly different for different owners for different things and the car seems to do what it wants for no particular reason now and then.

One, in addition to the odd behavior of the start/stop feature, is the car shutting off the engine when I put the transmission into Park sometimes. It does this on occasion, typically after a drive of a particular time/distance but is not consistent and I can't tell what that distance is. All I know is driving around town from place to place or to work and home it works normally - pull into a spot, shift into Park, car stays running until I turn it off. Other times (again, typically a "long-ish" drive) I'll stop, put it in Park and the engine shuts off. But I don't want it to. Just does it on its own. No car I've ever had or driven does this.

So the car is just weird. I say code it out using OBD11 and be done. You can of course reverse it if you don't like it or want to start using it again.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
The coding to turn it off permanently stopped working at some point in the MK7/7.5 lifespan. It's probably not an unsafe assumption that this was regulatory. Typically the way this was done was to set the minimum voltage to something higher than the car would ever see.

As far as leaving the car in sport mode. That actually does not persist through ignition cycles. It's not that the car is "forgetting" though, that behavior is programmed in the driving profile data set. For example, exhaust valves (which I think, on the R, are in the Engine Sound group that includes sound actor) will never start in Sport (full open) mode. It will show Sport mode on the screen, but you need to cycle to another mode and back to Sport to actually get it in sport.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
It's not that the car is "forgetting" though, that behavior is programmed in the driving profile data set. For example, exhaust valves (which I think, on the R, are in the Engine Sound group that includes sound actor) will never start in Sport (full open) mode. It will show Sport mode on the screen, but you need to cycle to another mode and back to Sport to actually get it in sport.
This, for me, has always been to start the car, drop it in D then tap into S. Everything else that was set in "custom" was always still set. So it was "remembering" all custom settings and recalling them when changing transmission into S. At least it was until it wasn't. Regardless, this was "proven" to myself by changing items on the fly and none of them were in anything other than what I had set them previously.

As I said, I'm not a fan of how they programmed this car to work. I'd like to smack someone and get them to make it work better or at least consistently.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
From factory it's always on, unless your battery is low.

Besides the other methods mentioned, it can also be disabled in the tune itself (and you can also change the exhaust valve behavior too, though the 'forgetting' sport mode cannot).

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I didn't mean that nothing remains in Sport, although I wasn't very clear. What I meant was some things don't stay in Sport... but it's not an accident. It is programmed that way.

Check out http://www.mqbtools.nl/fpa/ and select the 2019 Golf R data set if you want to see exactly how everything behaves. I don't have a Golf R so I'm not speaking from a place of experience. But I've spent a lot of time in that data while 0utting together my custom driving profile data set. I trust the data.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
From factory it's always on, unless your battery is low.

Besides the other methods mentioned, it can also be disabled in the tune itself (and you can also change the exhaust valve behavior too, though the 'forgetting' sport mode cannot).
You can build a custom data set that "remembers* everything. My personal data set is configured that way. Every setting is retained through ignition cycles.

I've also broken out every setting individually. Whereas the factory data set puts some things in groups (like sound aktor and exhaust valves). And if I remember correctly, there might be a group called Drive that includes engine and gearbox.

Last edited:

2019 Golf R

Passed Driver's Ed
I've been using the B2BFab harness to disable the start/stop.

It works great 98% of the time - then for some strange reason, it will randomly stop working. Key cycle and it'll work again. There must be something in the ECU trying to keep start/stop alive somewhere.

Anyways - for that 98% of the time, it's a great option. No coding required and the install takes 10 minutes with a plastic interior trim tool.

https://www.b2bfab.com/products/mk7...for-2018-up-alltrack-sportwagen-gti-gli-jetta

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Depending on how patient you are (and the value of a trim tool, harness tape and some etching)... https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802835316585.html
What you'll want to do is send me $20 to cover what it cost me to save you $25 (after including my cost) :LOL:

As an aside my most recent orders from Ali with their new "15 day shipping and on-time guarantee" have all come in early, and the tracking has been really good.

edsonmassao

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI DSG
I really don't like the start stop feature, I installed one of these Aliexpress harness and it is running fine until now. From my experience I can recommend this simple thing :)

rodon

Passed Driver's Ed
Late to the party here, but it's easy to disable with VCDS (did it to my MY2019):

[Disable Start/Stop]
Select STG 19
STG adiustment -> function 10
Start Stop Limit voltage
Value=12

(sets the activation voltage so high it can never be reached so Stop/Start is always disabled)