GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R/GTI PP Front Brake Upgrade -> Soft Pedal after Brake Flush

wakeupmrchen

Car(s)
Golf Mk7
Hi all. I've recently upgraded the front brakes of my Mk7 GTI non-pp to the Golf R brakes. At the same time, I upgraded the rotors on the rear.

After performing a brake flush with a pressure bleeder at 2 bar/29 psi, going FL FR RL RR, the brake pedal still feels soft. E.g. it only bites 1/4 down.

Do another pressure bleed followed by a manual bleed and an ABS stop but still no avail. Additionally, when the car is stopped with the electronic park assist, I'm still able to pump the brakes. When I do this, I'm able to hear air moving.

Also what is the torque setting for the brake line to caliper? I've heard 17Nm but also 35Nm.

Does anyone have any idea or advice here?

Thanks

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
It may be possible you still have some air in there somewhere, but my PP GTI has always had a little bit of what you could say feels like 'play' right at the top of the pedal - I've driven a friends R and its exactly the same. Brakes are still spot on in terms of consistency and stopping power, so never really thought anything of it till we bought daughter a 1.8Tsi with the normal brakes - which I do feel have a bit less of the play right at the top of pedal travel (and the brakes are good on there using same pads as in my GTI, but they don't quite have the same feel and repeatability as the bigger PP ones especially if you get them very hot). Not really sure why there is this bit of pedal travel difference between them, but possibly could be this you are feeling having uprated them? Do the brakes seem to work alright otherwise, consistent bite through the travel range and sharp with no spongey feeling? Have you changed pads for a different type at the same time? All that could contribute to feel.

On your static check and pumping the pedal, is the car still running when you are doing this? You can pump the pedal up and it will slowly go downwards if so, normal behavior. If the car is off and you pump the pedal several times it should go rock solid and stay so.

When changing fluid I've always done the pressure bleed method with good results, although if someone is around I'll follow that up with old fashioned pedal pumps/open and close bleeders.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Hi all. I've recently upgraded the front brakes of my Mk7 GTI non-pp to the Golf R brakes. At the same time, I upgraded the rotors on the rear.

After performing a brake flush with a pressure bleeder at 2 bar/29 psi, going FL FR RL RR, the brake pedal still feels soft. E.g. it only bites 1/4 down.

Do another pressure bleed followed by a manual bleed and an ABS stop but still no avail. Additionally, when the car is stopped with the electronic park assist, I'm still able to pump the brakes. When I do this, I'm able to hear air moving.

Also what is the torque setting for the brake line to caliper? I've heard 17Nm but also 35Nm.

Does anyone have any idea or advice here?

Thanks
35n-m for the banjo connection, but I just snug it and check for leaks (which is good to do anytime you touch lines).

I had some luck with disabling hydraulic brake assistant, but it's difficult to get this feeling great, even with after market calipers, fluids, etc. I would do another manual bleed and try to get another liter through the system without bubbles. It's a pain but I had a heck of a time getting the RR to bleed with just 29psi.

wakeupmrchen

Car(s)
Golf Mk7
It may be possible you still have some air in there somewhere, but my PP GTI has always had a little bit of what you could say feels like 'play' right at the top of the pedal - I've driven a friends R and its exactly the same. Brakes are still spot on in terms of consistency and stopping power, so never really thought anything of it till we bought daughter a 1.8Tsi with the normal brakes - which I do feel have a bit less of the play right at the top of pedal travel (and the brakes are good on there using same pads as in my GTI, but they don't quite have the same feel and repeatability as the bigger PP ones especially if you get them very hot). Not really sure why there is this bit of pedal travel difference between them, but possibly could be this you are feeling having uprated them? Do the brakes seem to work alright otherwise, consistent bite through the travel range and sharp with no spongey feeling? Have you changed pads for a different type at the same time? All that could contribute to feel.

On your static check and pumping the pedal, is the car still running when you are doing this? You can pump the pedal up and it will slowly go downwards if so, normal behavior. If the car is off and you pump the pedal several times it should go rock solid and stay so.

When changing fluid I've always done the pressure bleed method with good results, although if someone is around I'll follow that up with old fashioned pedal pumps/open and close bleeders.

Yea you could be right actually! Just compared with my partner's TSI and it was the same. Guess I was just over thinking it! But re-did a bleed going RR RL FL FR anyways!