satel

Passed Driver's Ed
Golf R 2019 years
Bought in America and imported to Europe
Discover media navigation SD card North America (V6) 3G0 919 866 BP
Will navigation work if I put European maps
Thank you

NedRager

Short answer: No. I have a 2019 US R in Germany and have worked with the local dealer to try and get the Nav to work. The dealer can't even get a straight answer from VW if it's software, firmware or hardware that would need to be changed. The dealer tried all sorts of coding changes, and so did I, but none of them make any difference.

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
The difference is in how EU and US maps are loaded. US cars have the maps paired via an OEM SD card and they must be coded to the headunit. Euro cars can be updated via any SD card with a download on your PC. It's a different system.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
The difference is in how EU and US maps are loaded. US cars have the maps paired via an OEM SD card and they must be coded to the headunit. Euro cars can be updated via any SD card with a download on your PC. It's a different system.
Not correct! In Europe only the discover pro can be updated using ‘any’ SD card as the maps are held on the hard drive in the MIB unit, the discover media systems however use an OEM VW SD card (the maps cannot be loaded from a non genuine VW card) that must always be inserted to use the maps, both though can be updated for free online as you already say, the problem with changing regions is purely a hardware issue and a new MIB unit will need to be installed in order to upload euro maps! I believe euro radio stations may also not function on US MIB hardware.

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
Not correct! In Europe only the discover pro can be updated using ‘any’ SD card as the maps are held on the hard drive in the MIB unit, the discover media systems however use an OEM VW SD card (the maps cannot be loaded from a non genuine VW card) that must always be inserted to use the maps, both though can be updated for free online as you already say, the problem with changing regions is purely a hardware issue and a new MIB unit will need to be installed in order to upload euro maps! I believe euro radio stations may also not function on US MIB hardware.
Did not know that the ROW map cards were just updated on your PC. Thanks for the info.

NedRager

FYI the US model cars can be coded to receive euro radio stations. It is also possible to get the (main) speedometer to kmh if you have the digital dash. At least on my '19 R it worked with OBD11.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Golf R 2019 years
Bought in America and imported to Europe
Discover media navigation SD card North America (V6) 3G0 919 866 BP
Will navigation work if I put European maps
Thank you
There are people who can convert to European firmware. It is entirely possible, don't know if you are still looking.