GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R 7 headlight bulbs suggestions

becker97

Car(s)
Golf R MK7
Hi guys,

I have recently bought a Golf R 7 and just last night I went for a drive at night and noticed my low/high beams are not pure white, they have a bit of a yellow tint to them. They are bright and work pretty well, although I'd like to change to something completely white, without any yellow, which would look like those new cars with LEDs.

Upon some research, I guess either 5000K, 5500k or 6000k HID bulb would be my choice (leaning more towards 6000K), but I've seen many different opinions online regarding the true color of the bulbs, visibility, best brands, etc. I've heard some people saying 6000K is too blue, others saying it's pure white.

I'd be curious to know your opinion and feel free to share any pics of your headlights if you have either one of those bulbs :)

Many thanks!

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
The standard color temperature for the sun at mid-day, for photography purposes, is 5500K. That usually is perceived as being "bright white." That said, last month I just upgraded the original halogen bulbs in my motorcycle to 6000K LED's which do look a touch blue, but I like the color--I can tell the slight color difference between normal sunlight and the beam from the headlights reflecting off of cars sitting in front of me at stoplights. If I were buying fresh replacement bulbs for my Mk7 R, I'd first look at the lumen output, then the rated lifespan, and then take whatever was best, as long as it was somewhere between 5000-6000K. I'd then get fresh cornering bulbs which matched the new color of the headlamps. Just remember that there is a tendency for higher color temp bulbs to burn out faster for a given lumen output.