GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R 400 Concept

ick

Ready to race!
Dammit! Now I have to find about 20 grand more!

McFuzz

Go Kart Champion
It has been confirmed for production folks!!!

" It’s going to be built, the confirmation of which we received directly from VW research and development chief Heinz-Jakob Neusser."

http://blog.caranddriver.com/confir...concept-will-be-built-2014-beijing-auto-show/

while these are great news - I'd like to point out even better news:

We also learned that the engine hasn’t been changed much from the version rated at 290 horsepower in the U.S.-spec Golf R, having only received mild revisions in the interest of withstanding more boost. The basic engine architecture hasn’t been altered. “We haven’t reverted to cast iron and made it into an EA113 again. The EA888 can handle it,” another VW executive told us.

What does this tell me? The R400 will be the equivalent of the MK6 Golf R as compared to the MK6 GTI - it'd cost a shitload, it'd be awesome, but APR will do their magic and make a Golf R = R400 at a fraction of a price.

Hooklyn

Banned
What does this tell me? The R400 will be the equivalent of the MK6 Golf R as compared to the MK6 GTI - it'd cost a shitload, it'd be awesome, but APR will do their magic and make a Golf R = R400 at a fraction of a price.

APR will surely be able to get the power but not anything else that the R400 offers. Most notably is the 1.2" wider body...

And I can't see a production version here in the US costing more than maybe $45k-$50k or so. The CLA45 AMG lists from $48k and the 8V RS3 shouldn't come in at more than $50k.

Considering a loaded Golf R will likely be pushing $40k, I don't know that the extra $5k-$8k will be all that bad all things considered.

BlueBullet

Ready to race!
It will cost a fortune without options and if a very limited run is made it won't matter what the rs3 costs as they can be bought in bulk.

McFuzz

Go Kart Champion
It will cost a fortune without options and if a very limited run is made it won't matter what the rs3 costs as they can be bought in bulk.

This.

The R400 will be an extremely limited run and it will be sought after which means dealer markup will go through the roof. Regardless of it being a VW and a Golf, it'd easily be a $55K+ car just cuz of its rarity.

iAmLodi

Ready to race!
This.

The R400 will be an extremely limited run and it will be sought after which means dealer markup will go through the roof. Regardless of it being a VW and a Golf, it'd easily be a $55K+ car just cuz of its rarity.

^This. If it ever does make it to North American shores, I see it starting at an absolute minimum of 55k, then going the way of the BMW 1M.

McFuzz

Go Kart Champion
And that brings us back to the MK6 Golf R vs MK6 GTI comparison... you can make a GTI just as fast (albeit not handle as well) for a fraction of the cost of a Golf R; you'd be able to make the MK7 Golf R just as fast (minus the handling) the R400 but again, for a fraction of the price...

BlueBullet

Ready to race!
And that brings us back to the MK6 Golf R vs MK6 GTI comparison... you can make a GTI just as fast (albeit not handle as well) for a fraction of the cost of a Golf R; you'd be able to make the MK7 Golf R just as fast (minus the handling) the R400 but again, for a fraction of the price...

But the mk6 gti will never have 4 wheel drive.

when I looked at tuning mk6 gti by 60 something bhp and insuring although though the cost was reasonable, on the mk7 R and 89bhp extra it has hell of a lot more gains works out cheaper to insure.

So I could tune a mk6 gti with roughly 60bhp for little extra performance or buy a mk7 R with 89bhp extra and have a lot more performance, mean a lot more performance for cheaper insurance.

McFuzz

Go Kart Champion
But the mk6 gti will never have 4 wheel drive.

when I looked at tuning mk6 gti by 60 something bhp and insuring although though the cost was reasonable, on the mk7 R and 89bhp extra it has hell of a lot more gains works out cheaper to insure.

So I could tune a mk6 gti with roughly 60bhp for little extra performance or buy a mk7 R with 89bhp extra and have a lot more performance, mean a lot more performance for cheaper insurance.

Well when comparing the MK6 GTI to a MK7 R then of course - it's absolutely on brainer; it's comparing apples to pineapples ;)

My analogy refers to MK6 GTI vs MK6 Golf R; yes, AWD is missing on the GTI but with enough suspension modifications it can give an MK6 R a run for its money.

Bayern

Ready to race!
while these are great news - I'd like to point out even better news:

I agree!! when i read this i thought the same thing; the golf r will be able to get to 395hp relatively easily. I wonder if the ea888 in the r400 has upgraded rods and pistons or the previously rumoured multiport injection. hard to say what "mild revisions" are...

mikef4uk

Ready to race!
Golf R400

Has anyone got any more information on whether the Golf R400 will make it into production or not?

I contacted VWUK and just got the std reply ''at this moment there are no plans to put the car into production'' :)

GTITX1

Ready to race!
It would make sense that if the Golf R will now be an every year model, there will be a new limited edition model to take its place. Whether it makes it to the US shores initially is anyones guess.