GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf mk7 R radiator replacement

Branch846

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all, not sure if this is the right place for this but I have a mk7 R with a leaky radiator. Going to tackle it myself as it's not a big job.
I was just wondering if anyone has manged to get the rad out without taking all the bumper and crash bar etc off.

Looks do able but not sure I'm wasting time trying or just to pull the front end off, which I'd like to avoid of I can help it.

Cheers.

timmyturbo

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3
You pull the radiator out from the engine side, no need to remove the crash bar and move the whole stack.
If you watch Humbemechanic's intercooler install, which is done from the engine side, you can see the process isn't too bad. Obviously the intercooler removal part is irrelevant, but he goes through reinstalling everything as well. As far as removing the bumper, I can't say for sure if you can get to the clips that need to be released (I don't have a golf R). You should be able to see after watching the video to make that decision. I used this video for installing an intercooler on my S3 and it worked great without having to take apart the whole damn car.

Humbemechanic's video:

Last edited:

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
.I used this video for installing an intercooler on my S3 and it worked great without having to take apart the whole damn car apart.

Humbemechanic's video:

Real men take the whole car apart. Then do it again because they forgot/broke something. 😤

Branch846

Passed Driver's Ed
You pull the radiator out from the engine side, no need to remove the crash bar and move the whole stack.
If you watch Humbemechanic's intercooler install, which is done from the engine side, you can see the process isn't too bad. Obviously the intercooler removal part is irrelevant, but he goes through reinstalling everything as well. As far as removing the bumper, I can't say for sure if you can get to the clips that need to be released (I don't have a golf R). You should be able to see after watching the video to make that decision. I used this video for installing an intercooler on my S3 and it worked great without having to take apart the whole damn car apart.

Humbemechanic's video:

Nice one ill hopefully be on with it when it turns up eventually 🙄

I'll give it a go and see what happens cheers 👍🏻

Branch846

Passed Driver's Ed
Just an update, got it put on this afternoon, no need for bumper off although the way its clipped in is a stupid idea.
Especially at 9 years old 🙄
Also found why my ac gas goes after about a year looks like the o ring on the condenser is leaking, that's bumper off job but a problem for next year I think 😅