GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf mk7 limp mode

Vacandwash

Took my car to be today as it’s been going into limp mode sometimes .
they have told me that my throttle valve is sooty and recommended replacement of throttle valve and wiring harness. Over £1000
Can somebody tell me what parts these are and is it something I could do myself as can’t really afford this at present

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Get a better opinion. If it's just sooty it can be cleaned inexpensively but I'm not sure that's the problem anyway.

Vacandwash

Not sure , I took it into a independent garage first that can up with the fault of throttle actuator open circuit . Wasn’t sure so at a cost of £160 took it to a vw main dealer and they said it needs a throttle valve and wiring harness to cure the fault

Vacandwash

Engine management light yes and gose into limp mode. after restarting its fine again for so long.
vw have told me the problem i just wanyed to know whether its a big job to change the 2 things.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Engine management light yes and gose into limp mode. after restarting its fine again for so long.
vw have told me the problem i just wanyed to know whether its a big job to change the 2 things.
It's not that big of job but I would be careful about throwing money at the problem because an EPC light can be caused by many problems and is most often the wastegate. I know it cost more in labor if you have them do the work but if they guarantee that's the problem and if not fixed you won't have to pay. If you do the work and it doesn't fix the problem you're out the cost of the parts. See the link for how many things can cause an EPC light.

https://mechanicbase.com/engine/epc-light/

Vacandwash

Ok Thanks, I was going to take it off just to clean it etc with carb cleaner and check the wiring harness and connectors but I can't even see on the vehicle where the throttle valve is. Its a 2014 vw golk mk7 1.6 tdi.
Looks like if will have to save up and pay the over £1000 out but at least the car is still running fine at present and only does it occassionaly.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
diesels..what grade fuel do you use & short trips??..get some super diesel in it & take it on a long trip..you can buy a 1hr time slot to enter your cars VIN & download all the VW workshop manuals for £7 ish legally from erwin..

Volkswagen AG erWin Online

Vacandwash

Just a update , Changed the throttle valve and the new one wasnt sooty at alkl like i was told at vw and guess what it hasn't cured the fault. They sais it was 2 things, the wiring loom and the throttle valve, Well i have changed thethrottle valve so now looks like a wiring loom. £720 just for the loom from vw.
Pretty gutted really as after taking it to a main vw dealer I thought i would get a exact diagnosis but i haven't and i have change a part where there was nothing wrong with it