GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf GTI DSG Eco Mode

DangerousTheory

Passed Driver's Ed
I often commute with my GTI in Eco mode because I think the DSG coasting function is fantastic and saves fuel (40+MPG(UK) over 20 miles). What is slightly annoying is that every time I start the car, the gearbox goes back into D rather than E. The Driving Mode Selector shows that I'm in Eco mode, but I have to tap the Eco option again to put the gearbox into E.

Is there any way to keep it in E? Or is it considered some sort of 'safety' feature incase someone is unaware the car will coast when they let off the accelerator?

My second question is, is it possible to have this coasting function on the Individual drive mode? I would like to have some of the other features not in Eco mode but retain the coasting function, however it seems that coasting is reserved purely for the pre-defined Eco mode?

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
I often commute with my GTI in Eco mode because I think the DSG coasting function is fantastic and saves fuel (40+MPG(UK) over 20 miles). What is slightly annoying is that every time I start the car, the gearbox goes back into D rather than E. The Driving Mode Selector shows that I'm in Eco mode, but I have to tap the Eco option again to put the gearbox into E.

Is there any way to keep it in E? Or is it considered some sort of 'safety' feature incase someone is unaware the car will coast when they let off the accelerator?

My second question is, is it possible to have this coasting function on the Individual drive mode? I would like to have some of the other features not in Eco mode but retain the coasting function, however it seems that coasting is reserved purely for the pre-defined Eco mode?

Out of interest what is the mpg in normal mode? I find that eco wasn't the most economical on the display, at present getting 34-36mpg on a commute 6 miles around town, >40mpg is normal on any kind of run.

DangerousTheory

Passed Driver's Ed
Out of interest what is the mpg in normal mode? I find that eco wasn't the most economical on the display, at present getting 34-36mpg on a commute 6 miles around town, >40mpg is normal on any kind of run.

To be fair I've only done 1,000 miles so not a huge amount of experimenting (or given the engine time to fully bed-in) but I seemed to get just under 40mpg in D and around 42 up to as high as 44.9 in E. My commute consists of quite a lot of inclines and declines which I think suits the coasting function very well. There are a couple of sections where I can coast for about half a mile from a 30-40mph start.

Generally it just feels right being able to lift off the accelerator and glide along. I think it takes a bit of getting used to in order to judge correctly when to use the function.