GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf 7 Trendline questions

misha.novisad

Hello,

I am newbie on forum, so I didn't know should I introduce myself somewhere or not, but admin can point me on right direction.

Anyway, I recently bought Golf 7 1.2 TSI Trendline, from my local dealer in Serbia, Porsche SCG and after few months I decided to add some features like Cruise control, multifunction steering wheel, etc...

When I called them, they say it's impossible. Also, they told me that's the direction from VW, and they can't do anything.

I tried to contact VW directly, but still no response. I will post here if I get answer.

Is there anyone who had similar experience?

I understand that you can't add some advanced things, like xenon, maybe discovery pro, etc...but some simple things should be doable with extra pay. :(

Thanks, Milos

James75

Go Kart Champion
You can't add bits once it's been ordered, the dealer would be held responsible if anything went wrong, they don't want to take that risk. It would also invalidate or put in question your warranty, VW have given you a warranty for the car you ordered, not one you might 'make' in the future.

Dealers would be putting themselves in a very difficult position, it just wouldn't make sense.

What sometimes happens, and this happened with my last VW, is that they will suggest a retrofit company, for example, here in the UK, with my last VW, I wanted fogs, they suggested a company they use for bits and bobs. That's not official and that's not the dealer fitting them but a third party.

There's also the rule on coding, nearly everything you retrofit will need to be coded and the dealers will need that in theory, from VW, VW are obviously going to guard this sort information and they not going to allow a situation where dealers are just adding bits to cars. That also brings us onto quality control, what control would VW have if dealers were fitting bits after the vehicle had been sold.

Hope this helps

James

misha.novisad

James, that make sense about warranty, since I still have 3 years.

But that's why I didn't want to do anything on my own, and I called official dealer since they can order original parts which is not cheap at all.

I am pretty sure it's because a car is mostly new, and they will allow that after XX years. But I will see if VW is going to respond me.

I wanted also parking sensors which is nothing luxury and of course the answer was same. I can retrofit that in other companies, but I will lose warranty.

James75

Go Kart Champion
It's just about control.

You have two options, get the part numbers, do it yourself, or just find a tech company that can retrofit and code your car. Then when you take it to the dealer, hopefully, like most do, because they are used to retrofit, they'll turn a blind eye.

I know you're not in the UK but to give you an idea, check out this website.

http://www.hazzydayz.com

James

misha.novisad

That's very true. I know the guy who came with tuning box and they just ignore that first time, but who knows.

Thanks for the link, I found couple of them with oem parts, which is great.

PS I forgot to tell one thing. When I asked them again for the reason, they said "my software doesn't allow that". E.g. I can add multifunction steering wheel, but it won't work like it's supposed to work.

When I had Audi before, I know there were couple of different modules, like highline, lowline, something like that and you couldn't add for example heated seats, otherwise you would need to replace module (cpu, chip or something third).

GolfMNE

Ready to race!
Welcome to the forum my neighbour! :) Regarding your question, it's probably possible to retrofit those parts, but there is nobody in our area who would do it. Dealers are usually not into "modding" cars for various reasons. Also, those parts are usually a lot more expensive compared to factory ordering. I've seen oem xenon retrofit kit somewhere for ~2.5k€ :eek:

misha.novisad

Thanks neighbour :)

Yeah, I know that.

But they gave me some prices for the cars where it's possible and it's not much expensive for what I am looking. E.g. cruise control would be 300 euros, rear parking sensors 200 euros, etc...

Xenon kit is expensive everywhere, that's true.

But I am pretty sure they don't know how to do that, since the car is new and under warranty. Also, they told me that's everything possible for MK6, and I am sure they will tell same for MK7 after few years.

ggerousis

does not work

I have to agree with what VW told you.

For example, a multifunction steering wheel has a few buttons (e.g TALK button) that will not function unless you upgrade your infotainment system.

Another example, if you want ACC (adaptive cruise control), then you will have to change the entire front bumper - as your current bumper will not allow to install the radar-based sensor that feeds the ACC with information.

misha.novisad

Just called second VW dealer today, and they accepted to do parking sensors, I am going on Tuesday. Then I will ask them for the other options. The first dealer refused to do anything, even I told them parking sensors shouldn't be anything complex.

I agree about multifunction steering wheel, but browsing Kufatec and other companies which selling oem parts, I think they offer everything, including changing can gateway to high. Cruise control should be simple as well + coding.

I think it's just matter of time and money, nothing else. Since the car is still new, that's a problem at the moment, but in future everything or mostly everything will be available.

I will keep you informed