GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf 7 R Tuning - First Numbers are in!

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
It is quite early in the Golf 7 R lifespan, but German companies have started to offer these (numbers are at the crank):

http://www.tmcmotorsport.com/TuningBoxDetails.aspx?s=968854411

http://www.chiptuning.com/shop/detail.html?manu=Volkswagen&model=Golf VII (AU) (2012-...)&motor=2.0 TSI R 300 PS aut. (Actually copy-paste that second link in your address bar as it wont link for some reason)

I am not familiar with the tuning box concept, seems like a piggyback that adds to ECU data..., but so far that's all what's been available for the 7 GTI as well :confused:

Anyway, if any of the above is accurate it means that the 7R has more than 50bhp and well north of 80Nm on tap only with a tune (the result numbers are in 6R stage2+ territory):eek::):):):cool:

Bayern

Ready to race!
I'm excited about this engine! A better built ea888 with fueling not as big a concern, 500 awhp seems like an easily achievable goal.

technic1

I can certainly vouch for the ability of the TMC kit - and it is reliable (run one on my 640d). Usually take their input from at least 3 sensors (timing, fuel pressure & boost) and will definitely be looking at buying another kit for my 7R once I have the car physical

BlueBullet

Ready to race!
Who is TMC and where are they based?

BlueBullet

Ready to race!
let's hope they don't fuck it up this time like they did with the mk6 golf R intakes.

What happened with mk6 R intake? Eg what had they done wrong and how badly was mk6 affected.

Mellor1

Passed Driver's Ed
I did note that those were all LHD US/Canadian spec cars and the VWR kit will have been developed in the UK on a RHD car? Could have been the cause of a lot of issues what with the brake servo/cylinder being on the other side of the bulkhead?

Just a thought. I've got a pal who had a mk6 R with a whole load of VWR goodies on it and it never skipped a beat to tell truth.

Mellor1

Passed Driver's Ed
Also regarding the CELs caused by intakes, what a lot of people forget is that a highly restrictive air box Vs a good quality, high flowing intake kit will likely cause a check light simply due to the increase in air volume flowing over the MAF.

Put more air in, it'll run lean. I've got a Neuspeed on my Mk4 and that did a similar trick and I ended up having mine mapped to correct once I'd added a few other bits.

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
Also regarding the CELs caused by intakes, what a lot of people forget is that a highly restrictive air box Vs a good quality, high flowing intake kit will likely cause a check light simply due to the increase in air volume flowing over the MAF.

Put more air in, it'll run lean. I've got a Neuspeed on my Mk4 and that did a similar trick and I ended up having mine mapped to correct once I'd added a few other bits.

True, but a CAI will make your car run leaner, a "bad" CAI will make your car run lean.
The ECU can tolerate more air and do the necessary adjustments in your fuel trims up to 15%.
Intakes which are made as bolt-ons for stage 1, 2 and 2+ Rs with no big turbo upgrades (and marketed as such) are not supposed to cause your fuel trims to go crazy (and cause the CEL you are referring to). If they do its cause of improper MAF housing calibration.
Normally a CAI that would fall-in nicely on a stock turbo R should cause your fuel trims to jump to a maximum of +4 - 5% on your short term fuel trims.

When you go BT (or stage 3) then MAF scaling should be remapped and your tune adjusted to your intake accordingly.