GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf 6 R DSG transmission swap

sens

Hello all,

Recently my DSG transmission broke on my golf 6 R and I couldnt find another gearbox with the same car code (MTX). So, few mechanics said that I buy the same gearbox for eg. HXX from passat R36 (same gearbox DQ250 just different code). Only thing different is the front casing of the gearbox which I would need to swap with my MTX gearbox, and of course mechatronics.

Your thoughts on this?????

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
Maybe I'm a bit slow, your DSG broke... so you want to replace the whole thing? Case etc? Why not just replace the internal components that failed and keep the case if it's not physically damaged? I'm not sure if it'd be cheaper than swapping in a used DSG or not, but it certainly sounds like frakenstein'ing a case with your old parts that aren't fucked would be more costly.

Now if your DSG case is cracked, then I could see this being an ok avenue. You could likely swap an MQB platform DSG or one from the MKVs even since not much has changed on drivetrains besides the internals on the MQBs where they have 7th and I guess 8th gear now?

sens

Maybe I'm a bit slow, your DSG broke... so you want to replace the whole thing? Case etc? Why not just replace the internal components that failed and keep the case if it's not physically damaged? I'm not sure if it'd be cheaper than swapping in a used DSG or not, but it certainly sounds like frakenstein'ing a case with your old parts that aren't fucked would be more costly.

Now if your DSG case is cracked, then I could see this being an ok avenue. You could likely swap an MQB platform DSG or one from the MKVs even since not much has changed on drivetrains besides the internals on the MQBs where they have 7th and I guess 8th gear now?
That would be the easy way to change the broken parts, problem is that I cannot buy gears which are broken and seweral other parts. Only way is to replace the whole thing.
Update: I've installed the r36 gearbox and its not performing right. You can hear some rattles, shifting is not right, reverse is not working almost everytime...

So, my next "mission" is to find another gearbox with three letter code which is suitable for my Golf 6R, as the mechanics told me, the gear ratios on that new gearbox needs to match my old (MTX) gearbox.

And here in Bosnia, its more expensive to fix a gearbox than buying a used one, I've payed r36 gearbox 250€.

I need help with finding the gearbox with right code.

🤢🤮

Last edited: