GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Getting great mileage in my "new" GTI

TheCityGame

Howdy. Newby to the GTI here.

Within the last couple weeks, I traded in my 2011 TDI for a used 2013 GTI (Autobahn <- very nice, IMO. Don't know if it's worth it new, but I love it).

With the manual, the car is rated at 21/31, but on my normal commute, to & fro, the on-board computer is showing between 33-36 depending on traffic.

My commute is mostly I-95 in the early morning, so it's not light traffic, but it's not stop & go either.

For comparison, the TDI used to get about 43-47 on the on-board which was close to my calculated mileage.

I was very concerned I was only going to be getting 26/27 like my old Subaru, but I guess that little 2.0 liter is pretty efficient when you're not winding on it and just driving like a schmuck. I guess the turbo isn't working under those conditions, but I might be wrong.

Also, I thought the gear ratio for 6th was a bit high coming from the TDI (it's like .92 vs. 72 in the TDI or so) but that doesn't seem to be an issue.

One more note, I'm surprised at how low I can shift and still get some pull out of this thing. I didn't think it would feel as good as the TDI in the 2000 range. It still doesn't but it's not as far off as I expected, and it makes up for it everywhere else.

I couldn't be more impressed with this car so far. I'll tell ya -- and this was the same with the TDI -- when they get over 90 mph, they just feel like they're at home, like it's finally telling you, "Yup. This is where we want to be." I've had to be real careful cop-wise a couple times. The speed was sneaking up on me.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Congrats on your new ride. Just a question, is this an MK7 GTI or is it an MK6 GTI?
Per your description (2013) would be an MK6 in the satiates amd a MK7 in other countries.

TheCityGame

Congrats on your new ride. Just a question, is this an MK7 GTI or is it an MK6 GTI?
Per your description (2013) would be an MK6 in the satiates amd a MK7 in other countries.
That IS a good question. For some reason, I thought the switch was made that year (well, for good reasons, like most places say 'the mk7 started in 2012'.)

Now that I poked into a little, I guess it is the MK6 .

E.g. If I compare the body to the cars here. . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volks...on_.28A7.2C_Typ_5G.3B_2012.E2.80.93present.29

it's more like the MK6. E.g. the body fold goes all the way to the tail lights and not just on the doors.

Maybe I'll just head back to my old forum.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Yeah MK7's in the US and Canada are from 15 and on, there was a limited 14 Mk6 run in the states, I even saw a 14 MK6 with the MK7's Austin wheels in a dealer lot brand new, I thought that was odd.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Yeah the MK6 manuals got great city/suburban driving mpg. The highway mileage is significantly dependent on speed. I could get 35+ going 65 in cruise, but if I was going 80 I got 27-29

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk