GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gearbox rattle - Manual

Richard Mk7

Ready to race!
I've been hearing a slight rattle coming from the gearbox today.

It's only when pulling off at low revs, just passed tick over.

You can hear a metallic rattle sound when pulling off in 1st or in reverse ?

Anyone else having this problem ?

Hoping its not anything bad to be honest.

Once driving along there isn't any noise at all, all is very quiet.

Any ideas ???

dannslc

I actually hear something like this too. I have a DSG though. It's only at very low speeds, just above idle like you say. It's usually in transition from a throttle on then quickly off again. I describe it as a small cluncking sound. Mine only has 350kms on it as well.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

DeeMK7GTI

Is the noise coming from the passenger side? If so, it can be those loose fuel lines that are vibrating in the bottom passenger side door sill. There are some posts on that, not sure if it's on this forum or VWVortex... :confused:

Wolksvagen

Banned
I've been hearing a slight rattle coming from the gearbox today.

It's only when pulling off at low revs, just passed tick over.

You can hear a metallic rattle sound when pulling off in 1st or in reverse ?

Anyone else having this problem ?

Hoping its not anything bad to be honest.

Once driving along there isn't any noise at all, all is very quiet.

Any ideas ???

My first and current Mk7 both produce the same noise and under the same conditions, going over a speed bump makes it worse.

I describe it as dragging a chain behind the car.

I guess it is just the nature of the DSG system.

Richard Mk7

Ready to race!
Thanks for the replys above guys. :)

My Mk7 GTI is manual transmission.
And yep, I've noticed that the noise is considerably more noticeable going over speed bumps.

I might pop by the dealers again soon and just ask one of the mechanics if they've heard this noise before ? Worrying tbh. I've had a gearbox lock up on me once in the Mk4, and it wasnt a nice experience :(

Richard Mk7

Ready to race!
Could be the downpipe knocking against the chassis on the front mounts

This noise definitely sounds like its coming from the transmission.

Someone did suggest it could have a lightened flywheel, as these tend to chatter a little, but to me it sounds like its internal. No problems when higher in the rev range and going through the gears, it pulls like a train with no noises.

Lets hope its nothing too serious.

dannslc

IMine sounds like it's on the drivers side. Had the window open the other day while entering a car park. Definitely heard something odd. Like the initial definition.
I had the A/C on as well which does add a little more load to the engine esp at idle/ near idle speeds. The noise is definitely bothersome as it's on a brand new car. If my girlfriend was able to hear it and ask, what the hell is that, then I think it's definitely not just the way it's supposed to be.

jasonjb

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the manual and ive Noticed this as well today, the first time i havent had the radio on so i could actually hear all the noises. its like a little rattle noise . taking mine in tomorrow for a recall and ill see if that fixes the noise. Ive havent even had the car for 3 weeks

jasonjb

Passed Driver's Ed
Sweet let us know the outcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well it did nothing like I expected. I took it to two different parking lots and cruised around in first and second just above idle and it still makes rattling noises when you accelerate and get going in in first gear. People with their windows down must think that theres a beater car taking off behind them when they hear me lol

dannslc

I can't take it anymore either. I'm taking mine in as well. I figure they won't fix anything either. You're right, the car sounds like a 200k mile beater.

jasonjb

Passed Driver's Ed
I can't take it anymore either. I'm taking mine in as well. I figure they won't fix anything either. You're right, the car sounds like a 200k mile beater.

report back if they where able to fix it or not. Im going to give it two more weeks before I take mine in and see if dies down as I drive it more. Really is annoying as its a brand new car :(

EB2429

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTi 7.5
can you isolate the sound anymore?

some say it does it over speed bumps, can you slip it into neutral just before the speed bump and still hear it.

does it do with the clutch peddle depressed and the gearbox not engauged?