GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gear lever storage compartment stuck, help!

iHayoona

Ready to race!
I have the MDI wire as standard in that compartment, I added a 30 pin to lightning adapter, and I have to squeeze the wire back to close the compartment, well this morning I went for a ride and it just won't open, anybody had this happen? I can't seem to find any help in the manual

Flup

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry that this is off-topic (I don't have my mk7 yet so can't help), but I noticed that you're a

Previous owner of a problematic Mini Cooper S

Am just curious what problems you've had with the MCS -- I'm just about to trade mine in for a mk7, and have had a string of problems in its 10 year life (including four power steering pumps!).

iHayoona

Ready to race!
Failure in AC system
Failure in interior/exterior lighting (they would turn off randomly and leave me driving in the dark)
Overheated 5 times in 3 months
Turbo leak
Battery died twice and I had to tow it once and jump start it the second time
Coolant leak

Among other niggles, I just couldn't take it, In each month I get to drive it a week, and have it getting serviced the remaining 3 weeks
It's a great car but unless you live around good mechanics specialized in minis or a decent dealer, I'd avoid the mini

DW58

Go Kart Champion
My guess is that part of the cable, or more likely the fairly "blocky" Apple Lightning adapter has become lodged behind a hinge or part of the flap mechanism while being pushed by the "springy" nature of the MDI cable attached to it.

My suggestion is two-fold ... ...
  • Shine a strong torch/flashlight in between the space around the flap to see if you can locate the potential obstruction.
  • Slide something strong but flexible into the space around the flap to try and dislodge whatever is blocking it from opening.

iHayoona

Ready to race!
My guess is that part of the cable, or more likely the fairly "blocky" Apple Lightning adapter has become lodged behind a hinge or part of the flap mechanism while being pushed by the "springy" nature of the MDI cable attached to it.

My suggestion is two-fold ... ...
  • Shine a strong torch/flashlight in between the space around the flap to see if you can locate the potential obstruction.
  • Slide something strong but flexible into the space around the flap to try and dislodge whatever is blocking it from opening.

Sounds like a great advice, I'll give it a try and if nothing happens I'll take it to the dealer on Sunday, thank you

The wasp

Ready to race!
It happened to me when I trapped the wire in the lid. To release the lid as you know you first have to push it to unlock the latch, with the cable trapped inbetween there is more resistance, you'll just have to push ( a lot ) harder or try to dislodge to cable with a knife etc.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like a great advice, I'll give it a try and if nothing happens I'll take it to the dealer on Sunday, thank you

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

iHayoona

Ready to race!
I was thinking either a knife or a ruler, thanks for the advice

iHayoona

Ready to race!
Update: thanks to a flashlight and a ruler the stupid thing was freed, thanks everybody

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Update: thanks to a flashlight and a ruler the stupid thing was freed, thanks everybody

Go Girl!

Glad to have been able to suggest a solution.

jjm51

Ready to race!
funny/ironic and a little related to this thread;

i know vw is copying some other high-end brands w/this area of the dashboard. it's about the only part of the new mk7 i can't seem to like. on my mk6 gti there is a 'break' or space between the gear shift and info/radio in this area. it has a small compartment as well. in my opinion it looks better. the mk7 has a long swoop of plastic in this area that looks a little cheap to me. again, only this part i am talking about. i think the rest looks fab. (love to get the chance to speak british!)

i have noticed on many youtube reviews that the reviewer leaves this compartment open. i'm sure it's to hook up their cameras or whatever.

i think it looks better too opened. again, for me that 'rainfall' of plastic w/no break is a bit too much for my taste.

maybe i'll change my mind when it finally gets here. maybe having a 'real' handbrake will chill me out a bit too about something so minor.

does anybody just leave that little compartment open all the time?

iHayoona

Ready to race!
funny/ironic and a little related to this thread;

i know vw is copying some other high-end brands w/this area of the dashboard. it's about the only part of the new mk7 i can't seem to like. on my mk6 gti there is a 'break' or space between the gear shift and info/radio in this area. it has a small compartment as well. in my opinion it looks better. the mk7 has a long swoop of plastic in this area that looks a little cheap to me. again, only this part i am talking about. i think the rest looks fab. (love to get the chance to speak british!)

i have noticed on many youtube reviews that the reviewer leaves this compartment open. i'm sure it's to hook up their cameras or whatever.

i think it looks better too opened. again, for me that 'rainfall' of plastic w/no break is a bit too much for my taste.

maybe i'll change my mind when it finally gets here. maybe having a 'real' handbrake will chill me out a bit too about something so minor.

does anybody just leave that little compartment open all the time?

You know, the only reason I keep that compartment closed is because I charge my phone in there sometimes and I go out for a sec to the ATM or something so I like to hide it inside, learned my lesson this time, I'm keeping it open

jjm51

Ready to race!
thnx

You know, the only reason I keep that compartment closed is because I charge my phone in there sometimes and I go out for a sec to the ATM or something so I like to hide it inside, learned my lesson this time, I'm keeping it open

good to know.

thanks.

i might even remove that part. :cool: