GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Garage Door Opener Mod

Genebaby

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI
all my buttons in the center console are in use, because I have all the options, and I needed two buttons, one for the gate and one for the garage.

so I installed the telematics buttons, the ones in the ceiling light assembly. now the INFO button opens the gate and the WRENCH button opens the garage. the SOS button is not used. unfortunately I couldn't find a way to modify the buttons look but hey... whatever...

What options do you have to fill all the buttons? All there is extra is the TPM button which is usually used to enable something else. I think the Chinese market has the TPS option.

I have bought two sets of switches, one a direct replacement for mine, with one blank and the Park/Park Assist buttons, and one with all three, in the hopes of modifying them so that the blank one becomes my garage door remote, stealth style, and leaving my original intact. It's been a few weeks, still waiting.

cospringsalltrack

Car(s)
2017 Alltrack DSG
I'm not sure if anyone's posted something similar before, but I made a quick tutorial on turning the useless "buttons" on the right side of your shifter into a garage door opener. I did something similar for my MKV and thought it would be just as easy for the MK7.

Quick question for you. I went to do this mod the other day and watched the video a lot more closely with the parts in my hand. did you fill the open cavity above the micro switch with paper towels?

mageus

all my buttons in the center console are in use, because I have all the options, and I needed two buttons, one for the gate and one for the garage.

so I installed the telematics buttons, the ones in the ceiling light assembly. now the INFO button opens the gate and the WRENCH button opens the garage. the SOS button is not used. unfortunately I couldn't find a way to modify the buttons look but hey... whatever...
I took the telematics buttons apart. There is a circuit board with resistors/diodes and LEDs. They're not simple on-off switches. How did you wire it?

NewYorkerInLA

Car(s)
MK7 GTI PP
I took the telematics buttons apart. There is a circuit board with resistors/diodes and LEDs. They're not simple on-off switches. How did you wire it?
Has anyone been able to figure this out with the overhead telematics buttons? Would love to get some use out of these obsolete buttons..

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
the buttons are a resistor ladder and that will need to be bypassed/removed. if you can use a multimeter to check continuity, it's easy to follow the tracks on the PCB and change the buttons to dry contacts.

the LEDs are for button illumination and I left them on Terminal 58. there wouldn't be enough pins on the connector anyway to separate each button illum.