GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fuse for dashcam without battery

SimonIG10

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf Mk7 1.4 GT TSI
I have a dashcam that does not have a battery. I’ve had it wired to the cigarette lighter fuse (F40) on a piggy back connector. However, it cuts out every time the start/stop kicks in. I’ve noticed a few things like the heater/AC and radio remain on when start stop activates. Can someone suggest a fuse that will stay on with start/stop but switches off when the key is removed.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I have a dashcam that does not have a battery. I’ve had it wired to the cigarette lighter fuse (F40) on a piggy back connector. However, it cuts out every time the start/stop kicks in. I’ve noticed a few things like the heater/AC and radio remain on when start stop activates. Can someone suggest a fuse that will stay on with start/stop but switches off when the key is removed.
Uh... it shouldn't lose power..

SimonIG10

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf Mk7 1.4 GT TSI
Every time it goes into stopstart it loses power and switches off. I know you can put F40 in the upper position to give you permanent power but I don’t want this as it will just drain the battery when the engine is off. I was surprised power drops on the cigarette socket when in start/stop. Didn’t do it in the previous BMW. If the dashcam had a battery I guess you wouldn't notice it.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Every time it goes into stopstart it loses power and switches off. I know you can put F40 in the upper position to give you permanent power but I don’t want this as it will just drain the battery when the engine is off. I was surprised power drops on the cigarette socket when in start/stop. Didn’t do it in the previous BMW. If the dashcam had a battery I guess you wouldn't notice it.
There's something wrong with your electrical system. It shouldn't do that.

Switched live should still be live when the engine stops!

SimonIG10

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf Mk7 1.4 GT TSI
I think the issue may be that the step down module (12v to 5v mini USB) apparently is supposed to switch off when the current drops to 11.6v. It can be used on a permanent 12v feed and cuts off so there is enough power left to start the engine. This module must be over sensitive as the voltage surely can’t be down to 11.6v when the engine is switched off on start/stop can it??

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I think the issue may be that the step down module (12v to 5v mini USB) apparently is supposed to switch off when the current drops to 11.6v. It can be used on a permanent 12v feed and cuts off so there is enough power left to start the engine. This module must be over sensitive as the voltage surely can’t be down to 11.6v when the engine is switched off on start/stop can it??
It could very well be, yes. How old is the battery?

SimonIG10

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf Mk7 1.4 GT TSI
I assume it’s the original. I have one of those digital voltmeters that goes in the cigarette lighter on another car. I will Put in the Golf and see what voltage it shows when the engine switches off. That should prove if it’s the module or not. I may just hard wire a female trailing cig lighter socket into fuse F40 and use the original cable if the module is the problem.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I assume it’s the original. I have one of those digital voltmeters that goes in the cigarette lighter on another car. I will Put in the Golf and see what voltage it shows when the engine switches off. That should prove if it’s the module or not. I may just hard wire a female trailing cig lighter socket into fuse F40 and use the original cable if the module is the problem.
If the battery is any more than about 4 years old it's on its way out.

SimonIG10

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf Mk7 1.4 GT TSI
I’ve worked out what the issue is. It’s not when the engine switches off under start/stop, it’s when it starts that the volts drop below 11.6v briefly and the dashcam switches off. I’ve taken out the module and wired direct. Working fine now. These modules are useless for start stop systems.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I’ve worked out what the issue is. It’s not when the engine switches off under start/stop, it’s when it starts that the volts drop below 11.6v briefly and the dashcam switches off. I’ve taken out the module and wired direct. Working fine now. These modules are useless for start stop systems.

Ah that makes more sense.

When I had a Power Magic Pro for my BlackVue I didn't have an issue when set to 12v but I believe the cut off point for that was 11.8v and you're hitting 11.6v.

You might want to consider looking for a new battery as winter comes along if it's dropping that low.