GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

fuel gauge problem

Gignomeus

Ready to race!
Here I am, on a Sunday morning, reading an article about how fuel gauges work and actually finding it interesting.

a. I'm a nerd
b. I'm getting old

Answer: A. Everyone is a nerd on one topic or another, this is the Internet! Also for the same reason B is incorrect, everyone on the Internet is 21 and looks like a model, hmm not just like a model, but almost exactly like that person off last months cover of... :)

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Here I am, on a Sunday morning, reading an article about how fuel gauges work and actually finding it interesting.

a. I'm a nerd
b. I'm getting old

Neither, the article makes sense, it is often wiser to learn how things work or designed to work, then follow internet rumour, I don't have my MK5 now, but to be honest I think it used to do the same.
I will ask my mate with an A5 if he has noticed this as he brims his tank fortnightly.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
The fuel gauge of my '69 Beetle never indicated full. Not even after I filled it to the brim.

How times change...

Hell, the fuel gauge on my '75 1303 Beetle went down so damned fast I swear you could almost see it moving. That thing drank petrol.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
In my case after 160km the gauge will be showing 1 main bar down...
:mad:

Which would be a range of about 1200km which unless you have an XL1 is very optimistic, I remember from the very old days, there was a float with a rheostat type sensor, and the guage would change depending on if the car was facing up or down a hill, as mentioned in the article tanks are odd shapes now, so a simple float system will not be very accurate, the computer system is the more ideal one to go by as it can measure the fuel rate through the pump and probaly weighs the amount of fuel too, so the range meter is more meaningful.

Luddite

Ready to race!

Thanks for that link!
Confirms what I've long presumed.
Has anyone ever had a gauge that actually seemed to work proportionately?

If you haven't followed the link, why not spend a couple of productive minutes of your life and do so. Then never wonder about fuel gauges again. Or demand they not carry on like that!
Either way, be informed.

Cheers again dipth! :)

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
Today I made a test. The fuel pump light went on showing 50km range. I filled it up a just before the needle gets into the red area (a dash below the first eighth of the gauge). It took 47lt. So the red area is not 5lt as the booklet states but below 3lt. I also noticed that the gauge really falls since it gets into the first quarter. So, keep an eye on it if you don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with no fuel.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Interesting, but the question which has to be asked is - Is the tank capacity actually 50lt total, or 50lt usable?

I haven't tested my Golf Mk7 so far, but in my Golf Mk6 when the light came on I could usually get 48/49 litres into the claimed 55lt tank.

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
Interesting, but the question which has to be asked is - Is the tank capacity actually 50lt total, or 50lt usable?

I haven't tested my Golf Mk7 so far, but in my Golf Mk6 when the light came on I could usually get 48/49 litres into the claimed 55lt tank.

Rob, I'm quite sure they did not upgrade the algorithm which command the gauge. They just left everything as it was with the 55lt tanks in the mk5 and mk6 and they just made the gauge to "free fall" after the last quarter. The gauge in my brother's mk6 GTI is WAY more accurate.

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI

About your question Rob, I took delivery of the car with an empty tank. I started it and the needle of the fuel gauge did not move at all. The range shown was 0km. I filled it in the gas station across the road and it took 50lt. So, maybe the fuel pumps you use may not be that accurate. I made a great effort here finding petrol station with "clean" fuel and a greater to spot the ones that do not "steal" you. In a friends situation, he got to a petrol station with a 5lt tank as he forgot to fill his car up. He filled it until the 5lt mark, and he payed for 6.5lt:eek:

DW58

Go Kart Champion
That's way over my head I'm afraid, I'll just have to take your word for that.

As for service stations, that might be the case in your area, but here in the UK the petrol pumps are (and must be by law) checked on a regular basis and "stickered" to that effect.

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
That's way over my head I'm afraid, I'll just have to take your word for that.

As for service stations, that might be the case in your area, but here in the UK the petrol pumps are (and must be by law) checked on a regular basis and "stickered" to that effect.

Here they are "stickered" too, but the petrol guys can do multiple things to their advantage. It was discovered at some point that some of them had a remote control that altered the way the pumps measured the fuel! Go figure!

dickt

Ready to race!
The fuel delivery systems in Delhi are interesting. A friend of mine is an expat over there, and there is one particular pump that he, his wife, and their drivers all use. (Yes, they have 2 drivers) Their firm checked a number of garages for accuracy and quality, and did a deal with one garage. The garage tells them which pump to use.........

TeeDeeEye

Passed Driver's Ed
That's what it would be like here if we didn't have independent people that check these things are accurate. They are, of course, employed by the government :D