GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front Right Tire Wear

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I recently completed a Foundations of Road Racing course at a local track in Austin. I installed RE71r tires, got lowered on H&R coilovers, and had -1.9 camber front and -1.5 in the back, with .16 toe in the front and .26 toe in the rear.

The tires were at 33-34 psi cold upon starting the day.

My front right tire is extremely worn down the middle. All of the other tires are perfectly fine. Did this middle wear happen bc of over-inflated tires?
Oh, also, I bet you made more right hand, higher-speed turns on this course. That would explain the difference left to right.

That, and you just don't have enough camber.

Inprogress

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
My front left thread was 6/32, front right was bad

My left rear was 8/32 and right rear was 7/32

I want to switch to Michelin 4S but most of the tires are still okay.

would it be okay if I just replaced the worn tire with a new Bridgestone RE71 until I'm ready to swap out all 4 for Michelin 4S?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
My front left thread was 6/32, front right was bad

My left rear was 8/32 and right rear was 7/32

I want to switch to Michelin 4S but most of the tires are still okay.

would it be okay if I just replaced the worn tire with a new Bridgestone RE71 until I'm ready to swap out all 4 for Michelin 4S?

Not if the other tires are a different brand. You can do it but it's not a great idea because of different tread patterns.

Inprogress

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Not if the other tires are a different brand. You can do it but it's not a great idea because of different tread patterns.
I should’ve clarified, I’m currently running RE71. So I’m wondering if I can replace the one crappy RE71 with a new RE71 and leave the other 3 tires alone

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I should’ve clarified, I’m currently running RE71. So I’m wondering if I can replace the one crappy RE71 with a new RE71 and leave the other 3 tires alone

Tread wear is within 2/32 so you should be ok. Ideally you'd put the new tires on the back as hydroplaning in the front is safer than hydroplaning in the rear, but I'd personally put the deepest treadwear tires on the front since they'll wear significantly faster. Just be careful in the rain (especially with re71rs, they're astounding in the dry but NOT good in standing water at all)

Inprogress

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Tread wear is within 2/32 so you should be ok. Ideally you'd put the new tires on the back as hydroplaning in the front is safer than hydroplaning in the rear, but I'd personally put the deepest treadwear tires on the front since they'll wear significantly faster. Just be careful in the rain (especially with re71rs, they're astounding in the dry but NOT good in standing water at all)

Oh yeah, I don't drive the GTI in the rain bc of the RE71

Thank you!