GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front door opening problem

ewaf88

Passed Driver's Ed
I the 1.4tsi 5 door - the warranty expired in March. Low and behold a problem seems to have arisen. My doors lock automatically after a short period when I'm driving away - no problem there.

But sometimes when I stop to get out the internal door latch doesn't seem to work first time necessitating another attempt - or this morning a couple of attempts before the internal mechanism seemed to click and I could open the door.

Obviously there are safety implications here - anyone else had the same problem - many thanks.

Roca

REVOed
Car(s)
CC
what model year for this to be off warranty?

we have 4 years, 80,000km in Canada so it would have to be a car bought in March 2012

ewaf88

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi mine is a UK warranty - I bought the car a one year old in 2014. It was first registered in March 2013 so the UK 3 years warranty has sadly expired.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I the 1.4tsi 5 door - the warranty expired in March. Low and behold a problem seems to have arisen. My doors lock automatically after a short period when I'm driving away - no problem there.

But sometimes when I stop to get out the internal door latch doesn't seem to work first time necessitating another attempt - or this morning a couple of attempts before the internal mechanism seemed to click and I could open the door.

Obviously there are safety implications here - anyone else had the same problem - many thanks.

What you describe is the "anti-hijack" safety feature which is usually "off" & can be activated deactivated using VCDS. The doors auto lock when you go above a set speed. This ALWAYS takes two (2) pulls on the inside handle to open the door, same for MK4/MK5 golfs etc that I have coded.

Not a warranty issue...:cool:

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Do you hear the doors unlock when you're trying to get out? Have you tried unlocking the doors first and then trying to use the door handle? Sounds like the door is just not unlocking when the handle is pulled, which is should.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
What you describe is the "anti-hijack" safety feature which is usually "off" & can be activated deactivated using VCDS. The doors auto lock when you go above a set speed. This ALWAYS takes two (2) pulls on the inside handle to open the door, same for MK4/MK5 golfs etc that I have coded.

Not a warranty issue...:cool:

Right, I had this activated on my M.

OP is stating that it takes him a couple more pulls sometimes to open the door, not just the initial unlocking pull and the door open pull. Am I correct in saying that OP?

ewaf88

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes I had to struggle with it this morning and it took several pulls. Also if this is a feature why doesn't it always take two pulls.? Usually when I have stopped it takes just one.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Yes I had to struggle with it this morning and it took several pulls. Also if this is a feature why doesn't it always take two pulls.? Usually when I have stopped it takes just one.

It is a feature, but that feature locks your door once you start moving, that's all(which is why it takes two pulls; one to unlock, the other to open), and it also has to be coded to work. What you're describing is an issue that needs to be addressed with your dealer IMO. Either that, or you can take a part the door side card and see if there is a physical issue with the lock mechanism itself.

ewaf88

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok many thanks - but all I did was select auto-lock on the display screen and it didn't need any code so I'm slightly confused as to whether there are two different systems. One which simply locks the doors above a certain speed and another which is hijack feature that does require a code.

MarcA

Ready to race!
I only pull the handle once and it unlocks and opens in the same pull. Mines a 2013 gt and auto locks at a few mph when driving off..

ewaf88

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi that's what mine usually does. I think it's a fault with the opening mechanism. Not great if you're trying to get out of a burning car after an accident and find the door won't open.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi that's what mine usually does. I think it's a fault with the opening mechanism. Not great if you're trying to get out of a burning car after an accident and find the door won't open.

That's why I always have a fire extinguisher within reach or the drivers seat in my cars, you might be in a position to NOT be able to open the doors due to crash damage, had that happen..:(

See my how to retro fit the fire extinguisher using the VW seat bracket here:-

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7939

:cool:

josh.dsg

Ready to race!
Every BMW post 2001 has this handle thing.

Pull twice to open. If it takes more, there's a mechanism problem, I'd say. Weird that it started doing it out of the blue?