GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front Differential leak at ~5500 miles, common?

iambrizzie

Car(s)
MK7.5 Gti
Yeah man all I can recommend is to get in contact with VWOA immediately and make them aware that you’re upset and don’t feel like the car should be having this kind of an issue so soon. If it gets resolved in a timely manner it may not warrant replacement but they still could offer to cover a payment for the trouble....if it does take a similar path to how my situation played out then by letting them know sooner they’ll have a head start on getting a replacement sorted out for you.

Definitely an incredibly frustrating thing to have happen with such a new car, believe me! Just stay patient, stay in contact with VWOA, take notes of EVERY SINGLE interaction you have with the dealer and VWOA, and don’t let the dealer pull some bs with you and not fix something. If you don’t think somethings right it likely isn’t. Take it to another dealer if you need to. Stick by your guns and as a last resort get in contact with a lemon lawyer in your area to have them in your back pocket if things get real bad.

Like I said before, VWOA did the right thing and handled it how they should so hopefully they’ll take care of you as well! If you have any questions don’t hesitate to reach out I’ll help however I can
Appreciate the reply! Called VWoA this morning and they were very nice. The lady escalated it to the Regional Case Manager and will be following up with me by tomorrow night.

AzTRgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
Appreciate the reply! Called VWoA this morning and they were very nice. The lady escalated it to the Regional Case Manager and will be following up with me by tomorrow night.
That’s exactly how it worked for me. The regional case manager is who you’ll work with throughout the process. Like I said, hopefully it’s just a one off and everything’s fixed as it should be. But if it’s not, then at least you’re already ahead of the curve and in contact with VWOA. Best wishes to you mate!

iambrizzie

Car(s)
MK7.5 Gti
That’s exactly how it worked for me. The regional case manager is who you’ll work with throughout the process. Like I said, hopefully it’s just a one off and everything’s fixed as it should be. But if it’s not, then at least you’re already ahead of the curve and in contact with VWOA. Best wishes to you mate!
Just got off the phone with the Regional for the second time. She has informed me she will be obtaining the vehicle service history from the dealership and will submit a buy back claim to VW in which it will take up to a month for them to review. After the 4th time of being at the dealership, they claimed the noise from the rear from from the seat not being fully clicked in (which is false because the noise is still there).

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Really glad to have found this thread -- just dropped my 2019 SE 6MT off at the dealer for leaking differential. Only 6000 miles on it and also pretty concerned, more so after reading this thread. Hopefully it's an easy fix but going to loop in VWoA regardless.

iambrizzie

Car(s)
MK7.5 Gti
Really glad to have found this thread -- just dropped my 2019 SE 6MT off at the dealer for leaking differential. Only 6000 miles on it and also pretty concerned, more so after reading this thread. Hopefully it's an easy fix but going to loop in VWoA regardless.
Dropping my car off on Monday because my car is now driving like shit after they swapped the dif.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Dropping my car off on Monday because my car is now driving like shit after they swapped the dif.
So far the dealer thinks they can get away with replacing the seal in the differential lock housing (their words.) I called VWoA and they were basically like we gotta see what the dealer does first. At what point would folks recommend pressing them on it? If the whole diff needs to be replaced?

AzTRgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
Just got off the phone with the Regional for the second time. She has informed me she will be obtaining the vehicle service history from the dealership and will submit a buy back claim to VW in which it will take up to a month for them to review. After the 4th time of being at the dealership, they claimed the noise from the rear from from the seat not being fully clicked in (which is false because the noise is still there).
Yeah that’s a common issue with the rear seats in these making a bit of a creaking/vibration sound but if it makes it with the seat folded down then yeah that’s just some bs from the dealer. Stick to your guns and if you think something ain’t right, tell em! Take it to another dealer if you need to.

So far the dealer thinks they can get away with replacing the seal in the differential lock housing (their words.) I called VWoA and they were basically like we gotta see what the dealer does first. At what point would folks recommend pressing them on it? If the whole diff needs to be replaced?
Yeah unfortunately that’s just the process. It’s super frustrating but they’ve got to give the dealer the chance to fix it. Hopefully, they’re able to and it runs great like a lot of other people’s. Definitely stay on VWOA though! Let them know how frustrated you are and if the car is in the shop for more than a few weeks I’d request them to cover a payment if your car is financed.

Keep this thread updated with your guys’ outcomes!

Buck43

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE
Well, just to give anyone who cares an update....I took delivery of my replacement 2021 GTI on March 8th. About two months in the shop getting the transmission replaced and another month of driving it around waiting for the replacement. Drove fine, didn’t leak, but something still felt off with the new transmission. Just felt kind of sticky. Gotta say tho, VW did the right thing they replaced it at no cost, just had to wait awhile. Definitely a long drawn out process but overall I’m happy. The only color they had available in the corporate inventory was white but it’s grown on me.

Im not sure if it’s just placebo but this one feels a lot more solid than my previous. Shifter and steering both feel tighter with less slop. Still breaking her in obviously but I’m hoping I got a good one this time.

Definitely looking forward to finally putting some mods together I’m thinking first ones going to be an AWE track exhaust with the black tips. Well, unless you count the badgeskin which obviously adds +10hp
Don’t underestimate the badgeskin power bump

rallymaniac555

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 GTI S MT
Interesting thread as my MY2020 MK7.5 sits right now at the dealer for the diff leak. They will be swapping seals and let's see what happens.
Car was originally dropped off for the free oil change at 15k miles. At least I have a loaner Tiguan to play around with.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Interesting thread as my MY2020 MK7.5 sits right now at the dealer for the diff leak. They will be swapping seals and let's see what happens.
Car was originally dropped off for the free oil change at 15k miles. At least I have a loaner Tiguan to play around with.
Seal replacement seems to have solved it for mine; they had it for about a week while they waited for a part to arrive.