GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fram spin on oil filters for GTI?

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
I know... I know... Fram sucks lol I was just curious... the filters do look bigger. I'm just wondering why VW uses the cartridge type instead of a spin on.

phaphaphooey

Ready to race!
I would stick to cartridge filters.

The only choices for filters right now that fit properly are OEM, Mahle/Mann, or Wix. You can pick up Wix locally at auto parts stores. The others you will have to buy from a dealer or order.

Although Fram doesn't make a filter in this fitment last time I checked, although Fram has a bad reputation, their ultra filters are excellent with good filtration, solid construction, and synthetic filter media. I use them on some of my other cars and they have done fine.

lucyfek

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI & GSW
I've had no problem with Fram on my ZX3 (I'd usually pick the better grade but sometimes there was only one to "chose" from). Actually I like them for the textured end of the canister (that makes it easier to grip/undo).
Now, the cartridge type creates less waste (and I don't have to drill through the canister to drain oil before disposal). It should be cheaper as well. No reason to go for spin on type unless you cracked the plastic housing of the OEM filter.