GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fog light harness 2016 Golf Sportwagen SE missing

Larrick

Car(s)
2016 VW Golf
I am new to forum.
Just bought a 2016 VW Golf Sportwagen SE for $8,750.
It has a salvage title but appears to be in excellent mechanical condition.
I am a decent mechanic with my most recent work being done on BMW e39 series.
The Sportwagen is definitely an Es model with Panoramic Sunroof, 17 inch tires, Fender sound syste, etc.
Oddly though, There are Fog lights installed but no fog light wiring harness and the light switch does not have the fog light icon.
I believe the reason for the Salvage “rebuilt “ Title is from front collision damage.
Did a lazy mechanic discard the damaged harness?
Was the light switch replaced with wrong one?
The light switch has 9 wires and contains the Blue/Green wire which I believe is for the Fog light connection to the Body Control Module .
I have been searching for a way to get the Fog lights working but am not having much luck.
All videos seem to be on mk6 which incorporates a relay in their instructions on how to add fog lights, mk7,supposedly, does no use a relay and goes through the BCM.
Im just learning VW,s .
I know that I need a proper Euro Switch but do not know the wiring.
I need help.
Thanks

nonoabby123

Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen
It's possible the previous owner(s) pulled the harness and switch and probably sold or used it on another mk7 golf.

Info is scattered around all the VW forums, this one has a lot of good info if you want to do it the oem route

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/adding-fogs-to-a-2017-sport-ive-searched.8273985/

But if you just want to get your lights to work the cheapest option is getting an aftermarket fog light harness and wiring it that way. I wired mine this way on my 17 sportwagen, just need to get any aftermarket fog light switch and find spot to put it.

Larrick

Car(s)
2016 VW Golf
I’ll purchase the proper Euro switch.
They are available for about $70
Its the wiring method that I need to know.
Have not been able to find a video on mk7.
All seem to be on mk6 models.
Hoping someone can locate one.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
In OEM configuration fog lights are controlled by the BCM. The nice part about OEM function compared to adding a relay with your own switch is that the BCM monitors the bulbs so you'll get a fault if a light is out, and the fogs act as cornering lights at low speeds when you turn the wheel. You need the wire you mentioned from the headlight switch and the right headlight switch. The power wires that go to the fog lights are a straight shot from the BCM, through the firewall, with no disconnects. This means you need to disconnect the fog lights in order to remove the front bumper.

If the salvage title is from front collision damage it's very possible the plugs for the fog lights were damaged/ripped off and maybe the shop just put heat shrink over the wires and tucked them in somewhere. They would have then had to replace the switch with a non-fog switch but that's not very difficult, these switches can be found for $30. If they left the switch with fog function in it would kick out faults every time you tried to turn the fogs on unless the shop was also keen enough to code the fogs out. And maybe a bumper with fogs was the cheapest option the repair shop could find.

I'll post up the wiring diagrams for the fog lights in a couple hours when I get back to my desktop. I'm assuming that an SE came with fog lights, but I don't know that to be true.

If fog lights were optional it's possible VW only ever put one harness in those cars going to the headlight switch. That explains the wire being there and it does nothing if the option isn't checked in the BCM coding.

Last edited:

Larrick

Car(s)
2016 VW Golf
It seems that the Fog lights were Standard on the 2016 Golf Sportwagen SE.
The Fogs lights do not look damaged at all.
Just no wire and the incorrect light switch.
If I knew the route of the wiring harness, I could follow and possibly find the wire or were it has been cut or…….?
Thanks for any help.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Gotcha... Seeing as you said the rebuilt title is for front end damage I would assume the entire front bumper was replaced so you wouldn't see any damage on the new fog lights. That leads me to think my earlier assumption was correct and the original plugs are gone, pulled off or otherwise damaged in the incident that led to the salvage title.

I would suspect that if you removed your front bumper you would find the fog light wiring tucked away somewhere, and likely without connectors. On the driver's side I would follow the wiring that goes down to the horn, just behind the headlight. Removing the air box will probably give you a good view in there.

VW drawings/wiring below. J519 is the BCM so if you want to do a quick-ish check to verify the car is wired for fogs check BCM Plug B pin 5 (right fog) and 45 (left fog). If there are pins there those will be for the fog lights. Then you can start looking for the other end of those wires under the hood/behind the bumper. The harness running across the nose of the car in this picture is for parking sensors, ignore that mostly. You want to look a the harness that goes down towards the high tone horn, or possibly the one that's right under/behind the headlight.

Harness.PNGLeft Lamp L22.PNGRight Lamp L23.PNG

Larrick

Car(s)
2016 VW Golf
Fantastic, thank you.
The Sportwagen is my Son’s car and I don’t have 24/7 access.
It may be a day or two before I can get a look.
I did watch a video on accessing the BCM and it entailed taking several panels off under and beside the steering column.
Will I have to do that to see the pin location?
The wring diagram …is that a screen shot from the shop manual?
I cannot read the letters and when I zoom in, everything blurs.
Is there a link to that page?

Larrick

Car(s)
2016 VW Golf
Also, I was told to look for the Blue/Green wire on the Light switch .
That is wire for the fog lights to the BCM.
The plug is 9 pins.
green-yellow/black-yellow-purple-yellow/purple on one side
light green-Blue/Green-red/yellow-black on the other side.
Does that mean that The new Euro switch will be just plug into existing wiring and be functional for Fogs?
my question keeps going back to.
where does the Fog light harness connect ……From the lights to grounds, of course.
there is no relay so 1 wire to the BCM and 1 wire to ?

Larrick

Car(s)
2016 VW Golf
I did locate a picture of the BCM and J519- socket B
and have the locations for pin 45 and pin 5.
Question: Is the Blue/Green wire to the light switch from the BCM the only other wire in the fog light system? (Aside from the ground wires)
Thanks for your patience…electrical is not my strong suit.

Larrick

Car(s)
2016 VW Golf
Found an image of Mk7 fog light harness from BKS. $50
Appears to have 2 plugs: One for each light.
with wire ends that go to BCM pin locations.
One ground wire.
So a new Euro switch and this wiring harness and I should be good to go?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Yes very simple system as far as wiring. One wire from the headlight switch to the BCM. Then a wire from the BCM to each fog light plug. The ground for those plugs goes to the ground plane that's right below each headlight, but you can ground it anywhere under the hood. The grounds do not go back to the BCM.

nonoabby123

Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen
What did you get from BKS ? The one harness they sell looks like the one for gti and gte .

I've only seen AliExpress sell the one for mk7 golf and sportwagen

The fog light connector is different on gti fog lights.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
If you have auto headlights you want switch PN 5GM 941 431 B
If you don't have auto headlights you want switch PN 5GM 941 431 C
Both of these are available on cars sold in the US, so I wouldn't call them Euro switches, but that's just semantics from me, haha.

@nonoabby123 I bought my harness from AliExpress as it was cheapest and it was only place I could find one for the Golf (which has different plugs from the GTI, as you mentioned).

Of course shipping is slow unless you pay for expedited, although with the harness at $25 and UPS international at $30 you're still about the same cost.

Larrick

Car(s)
2016 VW Golf
Thanks for the advice on the Fog light harness.
I did not order one yet, thankfully.
I am just getting acquainted with VW.
I thought Golf mk7 was a designation that was specific enough for ordering proper parts.
Your correct, the BKS is for golf mk7 GTI.
I Googled AliExpress VW Golf mk7 fog light harness and found nothing.
What is the Full description (For ordering part) for 2016 VW Golf Sportwagen mk7 SE?
I found a Euro switch at eEuroparts OE part# V10730388. $65.99
They claim to be original parts suppliers.
What is the best fog wiring harness?
It‘s just wires, If the connectors are correct they would really have to be poorly manufactured to fail.
Thanks for the help.