GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Flow One Race Spec?

tna9001

Passed Driver's Ed
I like the way these look.

The price and the weight are right, has anyone had any experience with this company?

Are there any fitment issues with an 8.5" wide wheel?

Thanks!

Attachments

• FLOW.F4_GlossGunmetalSilver_Right.jpeg
    FLOW.F4_GlossGunmetalSilver_Right.jpeg
    229.4 KB · Views: 1,880

Jarbear

Ready to race!
Fitment issues really only depend on the wheels offset. Seeing that they're only available in 45mm offset for the 8.5in wheel, you won't have an issue. You'll also need hub centering rings, which are provided if you order through Tirerack.

vw671

Autocross Newbie
The only thing that bothers me about about the Flow One wheels is the badge on the lip of the wheel. I would think that it would wear down a lot over time make the wheel look old...but I have no personal experience with it just speculating.

tna9001

Passed Driver's Ed
The only thing that bothers me about about the Flow One wheels is the badge on the lip of the wheel. I would think that it would wear down a lot over time make the wheel look old...but I have no personal experience with it just speculating.

I'm wondering about that as well.

fretburnr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
As best as I can tell, that brand is owned by the same company that also owns Savini brands, Zinik, Avarus, Bremmer, Kinetic, Mono, Monte Titano, ASA, maybe more. It's another budget-minded wheel, but if you're not tracking it, it probably doesn't matter that much.

tna9001

Passed Driver's Ed
As best as I can tell, that brand is owned by the same company that also owns Savini brands, Zinik, Avarus, Bremmer, Kinetic, Mono, Monte Titano, ASA, maybe more. It's another budget-minded wheel, but if you're not tracking it, it probably doesn't matter that much.

Are OZ wheels significantly better? The OZ set I’m considering is $700 more. I’ve never tracked any of my M3’s I’ve had over the years but always thought I might.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Are the OZ's better? Probably definitely yes.
I can almost guarantee you they will be lighter without even knowing which wheel you are looking at.
Besides they have more of a history and are a better known/respected company.
If they are good enough for top F1 teams, they are good enough for you.
Are OZ's a tad on the soft side? Almost definitely.
If your roads are shit...I'd be careful. But that wouldn't stop me from buying some.
Especially over some basically no-name brand.

fretburnr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Are OZ wheels significantly better? The OZ set I’m considering is $700 more. I’ve never tracked any of my M3’s I’ve had over the years but always thought I might.

Just like any company, a number of OZ wheels are decent, and they have some price-point wheels as well, not that a price-point wheel is necessarily a bad choice. You can look into specific construction methods to get a general idea.

TBH, an occasional track day as a newbie is not really going to be a problem for most regular wheels. I autocross and track on some cast Sport Editions (one of tire rack's inexpensive house brands) that look like the Flow One wheels you posted.

However, a regular track junkie will put enough fatigue stress on their wheels that wheels should be considered wear items, and a higher quality wheel has a much longer fatigue life.

tna9001

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank for all the feedback. I live in Asheville NC and the roads are pretty good. I’m still trying to decide between 18’s and 19’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Well that depends on what you really want from a set of wheels.
You looking for something strictly better looking? Or looking for something better looking but still adding a bit of a performance benefit?

tna9001

Passed Driver's Ed
Well that depends on what you really want from a set of wheels.
You looking for something strictly better looking? Or looking for something better looking but still adding a bit of a performance benefit?

Both, as I understand the factory wheels are 26lbs or so. I'm looking to keep the weight at or below 20lbs. I don't think it's going to be hard to improve upon the appearance of the factory wheels.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Lol that last part is true.
Most 18's that OZ makes are between 18-22lbs I would say with a majority of those being 20 or under.
When it comes to 19's you'll add 2-3 lbs to that depending on the style.
As long as changing to a larger diameter is NOT one of the main reasons you want to get different wheels, then I would go for the 18s.
Better looks and "performance" in most cases.
Plus you can run a beefier tire which will help protect the wheel a bit better.

EDIT: Did just notice you have an R so I'm assuming you already have 19's.

tna9001

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah, the car has 19’s. In addition to lower weight/wheel protection I want to run Pilot Sport AS3’s. This car is a daily and I’ve been impressed with those tires but they aren’t available in the 19” sizing for this car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
For the record, I have the AS3+ but for what it's worth, the Continental DWS06 comes in a 235/35/19 and that is in the same ballpark performance-wise as the Michelin.
So you do always have that option if you wanted to stick with the 19's.
But it sounds like you are really more in favor of going down to 18's for a few different reasons.
And keeping in mind you have an R, if I was you, I would suck it up and put a nicer wheel on my $40,000 car.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I bought their wheels for my Type R as DD, seems fine. Not the lightest but significantly lighter than stock 20s.....quality seems ok. Weird hubcentric ring setup on them though. It is cheap. They are roll-formed so should be fine for what I am using them for...FYI for 18x8.5s I think they are 22-23 lb.