GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fat Shawn’s 2019 GTI Build

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
Stock size is 225/40/18. You’re increasing diameter by more than 10% (~70mm)

You may want to rethink that.

fatshawnsmom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'19 GTI DSG AutoBahn
Stock size is 225/40/18. You’re increasing diameter by more than 10% (~70mm)

You may want to rethink that.
You think it will rub or just look funky? Was hoping to be able to get away with it but doubting myself now lol
1709243427080.png

I'm OK with the speedo error and slight height gain.

Last edited:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
You think it will rub or just look funky? Was hoping to be able to get away with it but doubting myself now lolView attachment 300101

I'm OK with the speedo error and slight height gain.
First....welcome to the club!

Second....I second messrock......I wouldn't go that much taller.... def wouldn't look right. I know folks that have gone taller, but only because they've gone for the "lifted" look and actually raised their car

fatshawnsmom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'19 GTI DSG AutoBahn
First....welcome to the club!

Second....I second messrock......I wouldn't go that much taller.... def wouldn't look right. I know folks that have gone taller, but only because they've gone for the "lifted" look and actually raised their car
Damn. Not sure I have $600 in the budget to get the correct size after i bought the wheels, springs and the 1 matching tire. Kinda don't want to swap my old tires over because the date code is from 2016 but might have to now.

If I can sell the tires that might help just not sure I'll be able to sell them before the 9th.

khail19

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
It may rub even on stock suspension, but if you are putting on the H&R springs then you will have issues for sure.

I definitely would not go that tall. Sell those free tires and buy the right size.

khail19

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Just for reference, 225/55R18 is mostly for small SUV/CUV type vehicles with more room in the fender wells.

Like a Mazda CX-3 for instance. Lots of sidewall!

1709245211641.jpeg

fatshawnsmom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'19 GTI DSG AutoBahn
Just for reference, 225/55R18 is mostly for small SUV/CUV type vehicles with more room in the fender wells.

Like a Mazda CX-3 for instance. Lots of sidewall!

View attachment 300105
Oh lord I really messed up lol. Gonna see if I can sell the set quickly and order DSW06+ in the correct size.

Side note: does anyone need a set of Michelin Primacy Sports in a 225/55R18 😅

fatshawnsmom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'19 GTI DSG AutoBahn
Little Update:

My coworker is gonna help me sell the 225/55R18's and I'm going to order 225/40/18 DSW06+ through my dealers Buy 3 get 1 for $1 promo. With my discount and that promo getting all 4 for a little under $600. Thanks to everyone that talked some sense into me, think I would've been way more annoyed if we put these tires on and it rubbed on first turn.

Might wash my car tonight depending on the weather, been windy and dusty all week. Might just get my wheels and springs on and just wash after thats all on. Will post pics tomorrow after wheels are coated

fatshawnsmom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'19 GTI DSG AutoBahn
Went to my dad’s and coated all 4 wheels. First time applying a coating and the slickness and gloss added is insane. Curing now then boxing back up to get back home. Those spikes were a nightmare lol

Couldn’t get a wash in because Vegas is just a dust bowl right now. Just gonna wait until install to wash

Attachments

• IMG_8752.jpeg
    IMG_8752.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_8753.jpeg
    IMG_8753.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Correct tires ordered and received. Install moved up to Friday, now i just gotta figure out how to get everything in the car all at once
Best part of the GTI is that you'll have no problem getting the wheels and tyres in the back with the seats folded down(y)