GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Extended Warranty Coverage: Fuel Tank Suction Jet Pump

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Got my letter, too, for my 2019 GSW. Seems like this should be a recall instead of an "extended warranty" to replace a cheap failure-prone part that can leave the car unusable, or worse yet, with gas pouring out of it. But anyway.

Has the part been redesigned, or are the failures purported to be from a manufacturing defect?

Is there a way to temporarily work around the failure when it prevents filling the tank, or is the only recourse to replace the part? It's cheap enough that I'd consider preemptive replacement, though spelunking in the gas tank isn't fun.
One of the fun parts is that the access hole on the left side of the tank is sealed for north american cars. Designed to be totally non-serviceable. But they're changing their tune now that they might have to replace a *lot* of gas tanks if they don't have dealers pop it open.

Goodbar

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GSW
One of the fun parts is that the access hole on the left side of the tank is sealed for north american cars. Designed to be totally non-serviceable. But they're changing their tune now that they might have to replace a *lot* of gas tanks if they don't have dealers pop it open.
Based on the recall for the MY15-16 cars, it appears that the suction pump is located on the right side where there is an access hole.

See page 20:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2016/RCRIT-16V647-1179.pdf

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I was told for 2017s the pump is molded inside the tank, making it impossible to swap, so an entire new tank is needed (which was on "national backorder" for weeks)

Goodbar

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GSW
I was told for 2017s the pump is molded inside the tank, making it impossible to swap, so an entire new tank is needed (which was on "national backorder" for weeks)
Check out the link from the OP. Apparently VW didn't list the part separately until they recalled the MY15-16. So, some dealers were replacing complete tanks because they didn't know, or the individual part was not yet available.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Based on the recall for the MY15-16 cars, it appears that the suction pump is located on the right side where there is an access hole.

See page 20:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2016/RCRIT-16V647-1179.pdf
There are two suction pumps, FWD cars only have the one on the passenger side. That old recall is for the right hand ones. This new recall is for the one on the driver side (AWD only). There is also an access hole, but it's not intended to be serviceable here.

1667954083857.png

Goodbar

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GSW
There are two suction pumps, FWD cars only have the one on the passenger side. That old recall is for the right hand ones. This new recall is for the one on the driver side (AWD only). There is also an access hole, but it's not intended to be serviceable here.

View attachment 265082
My brother has a 2019 FWD GSW and he also got the letter. Also, several posters to this thread who received letters have GTIs.

Last edited:

SnubbyVW

Car(s)
2019 Golf S
Letter received 11/7 for 2019 Golf S. Looking at the VW parts diagram, I don't see this part listed. Is it integral to the fuel tank?

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
FWD GTI here. Received the letter. It's also not a recall, it's just an extended warranty, so I don't believe you have any recourse until it fails or if you're searching for reimbursement if you already paid for a replacement.

Goodbar

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GSW
Letter received 11/7 for 2019 Golf S. Looking at the VW parts diagram, I don't see this part listed. Is it integral to the fuel tank?
It isn't listed in the parts diagram or service manual, but is indeed replaceable on the right side. The part number is 5Q0201029.

This YouTube video shows the location and replacement procedure on a Golf R tank:

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Just received my letter today - I hadn't read this thread, and assumed the letter was about the water pump until I read it.
In any event, 15 years is a long time.

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Got my letter today as well. Going into my GTI folder with the water pump warranty paperwork as well

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Got my letter today as well. Going into my GTI folder with the water pump warranty paperwork as well
And clock spring.

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
What do you mean clock spring

There was also a warranty extension on the Steering Wheel Clock Spring that was sent out some time ago.
Maybe two years ago?

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
There was also a warranty extension on the Steering Wheel Clock Spring that was sent out some time ago.
Maybe two years ago?
Oh interesting, I’ll have to look into that for I’ve only had the car for little over a year