GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

European friends, need your help

parapraxis24

Vdubber
Car(s)
MK7.5 Autobahn DSG
My used GTI came from a state that requires front plates, so my bumper is drilled already for a front plate. My state doesn’t require a front plate so to make the best of it I’m going to mount a European plate in its place.

I have the European oem plate bracket already, the black thing that mounts to the car with the plastic rivets (this thing: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine...opean-license-plate-bracket/5g0807287h9b9~oe/). How the heck do you guys attach the plate to that? Is everyone over there driving around with 3m tape keeping the plate attached? Is there a VW part that I’m missing? I see a lot of companies sell a bracket that’s a clam shell to hold the plate, but those look like they mount directly to the car. The plate I ordered came with one of those, but it’s too big to fit on the oem part.

What do you guys use to actually hold the plate in place on the front bumper?

Thank you!

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
Euro plates using different mounting hole spacing than US plates. Same with the brackets
I'm pretty sure he's asking how to mount a euro plate to a euro bracket like the one in the link.

OP: My friend has one, and it has little tabs around the rim to hold the plate in place. Not sure how that one works.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
How the plate’s attached will usually depend on either the dealer’s preferred method of fixing it in place, or the customer’s preference if they have a preference. One of two methods will be used;

Either
  • attached to the plate holder with 3M (or similar) double sided tape
or
  • the plate will be attached with self tapping screws, screwed into holes drilled right through both the license plate, the license plate bracket and into the bumper! Some dealers will use those little plastic screw caps to conceal the screw heads - like these;
2960CF3F-AC00-469E-81FB-ECFC8BF60976.jpeg

cb1111

The UK uses a slightly different plate and mounting system, but here are a couple of German videos that explain a couple of the systems. You don't need to speak German. Don't drill holes in your plates

If you does not require a front plate, you still need to check your state laws as it may be illegal to have a Euro plate.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
My used GTI came from a state that requires front plates, so my bumper is drilled already for a front plate. My state doesn’t require a front plate so to make the best of it I’m going to mount a European plate in its place.

I have the European oem plate bracket already, the black thing that mounts to the car with the plastic rivets (this thing: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine...opean-license-plate-bracket/5g0807287h9b9~oe/). How the heck do you guys attach the plate to that? Is everyone over there driving around with 3m tape keeping the plate attached? Is there a VW part that I’m missing? I see a lot of companies sell a bracket that’s a clam shell to hold the plate, but those look like they mount directly to the car. The plate I ordered came with one of those, but it’s too big to fit on the oem part.

What do you guys use to actually hold the plate in place on the front bumper?

Thank you!
This is what cheap people like me uses in Sweden fo EU plates. 😃

Registreringsskylthållare - Biltema.se

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Do you mount that directly to the front bumper or does that attach to the bracket (link in my original post)?

I have one of those, but it is a bit oversized for the oem bracket and is definitely meant to be mounted directly to the car.
Depends on the bumper how it fits but on most newer cars it would mount on directly.

parapraxis24

Vdubber
Car(s)
MK7.5 Autobahn DSG
Thanks for posting that. That’s pretty much how mine would appear to fit if I were to mount it (waiting on new plastic rivets).