GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Eurodyne or COBB AP?

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
^^ According to a Cobb rep it would take under 5 minutes to changes maps once the AP is installed.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
^^ According to a Cobb rep it would take under 5 minutes to changes maps once the AP is installed.

I believe ED is the same once it's been flashed the first time. Firs time and back to stock writes something like 12 blocks but later flashes are only a couple.. iirc

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
I believe ED is the same once it's been flashed the first time. Firs time and back to stock writes something like 12 blocks but later flashes are only a couple.. iirc

If I can remember correctly it's 12 blocks initial flash and block 5 only switching around maps.

Chowderhead72

Ready to race!
Eurodyne VS Cobb... Tough decision. Cost vs options. While the Cobb tuner itself is cheaper I'm sure most tuners will be looking for 400-700 for personal tunes.

AllTheboosts

So let's take custom maps off the table because you don't think that's the largest selling point and here's what they both do:

They both...

1. Have datalogging capabilities
2. Can change maps or unmarry in a few minutes via handheld
3. Can clear codes

BUT it cannot:

1. Display Gauges

The Uniconnect has a lot of functionality that the AP3 does. So again, I argue the biggest selling point is that Cobb offers an easy software that almost every single tuner in the US can use to create OTS+, Pro-tunes and dyno tuners and send them miles away to you in minutes. Something that has been 100% absent in the VAG tuning scene (at least in a mainstream sense).
If I may, I am not at all familiar with Uniconnect, but remember Not all datalogging is created equal. I'm not saying this is the case here but, take for example running a tune from X tuner, so you download an app for your smartphone and connect it to the obd port and essentially "datalog" but what you don't get is nearly close to the rate of datalogging that the Cobb AP can get. Again, all speculation here since I'm not familiar with this car too much yet but in my ms3, I could download said app and I would have a datapoint every .5 seconds vs the accessport logging rate of .05 seconds per data point. When you are pushing you car, a lot can happen in half a second like lean spots in your fuel curve, boost spikes, Knock, ect... so keep in mind when comparing two devices that can datalog, not all will be equal.

AllTheboosts

Eurodyne VS Cobb... Tough decision. Cost vs options. While the Cobb tuner itself is cheaper I'm sure most tuners will be looking for 400-700 for personal tunes.
All other supporter platforms by Cobb, most tuners will charge you 150-200$ for a custom E-tune. I can't imagine it would vary too much from there. Hell I've tuned a couple of my old Mazda buddies for free just because we can lol.

Chowderhead72

Ready to race!
All other supporter platforms by Cobb, most tuners will charge you 150-200$ for a custom E-tune. I can't imagine it would vary too much from there. Hell I've tuned a couple of my old Mazda buddies for free just because we can lol.

$150-$200? Really? Much different than the diesel truck world. EfiLive tunes start at 500 and go way up from there.

wlfpck

Ready to race!
Not necessarily a Eurodyne vs Cobb thing, but...

Things to consider when purchasing a tune:

1. Customer service.
2. Customer service.
3. Local versus DIY loading.
4. Future proofing and Updates.
5. Flexibility and Customization.

All tunes increase power. In all honesty the numbers are not that far from each other if you're just using a Stage 1 tune.

What separates these companies is stuff listed above. Customer service is HUGE part of this. Are they willing to help after you purchased their product? If something goes wrong, are they going to help? How quickly can they help you? How readily available is the company and their representatives? Etc. Etc.

Local versus DIY loading. Do you have to drive to a shop/representative? If you have a shop nearby, not a problem. If you don't... well this is a big deal.

Future proofing and updates. How likely is the company to update their tune and continue making improvements? Are they going to offer new features and benefits for customers? Or are they going to release the product and never visit it again.

Flexibility and customization. Are you able to get a tune that is specific for your vehicle and not a OTS? This opens the door for a flexibility as you can use parts from whatever company you want. Then get the vehicle tuned and optimized. There's a difference between a OTS tuned WRX and a Pro-tuned WRX (as an example).

Just my thoughts.