GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Euro Switch Sensitivity Settings

Xdpker

Ready to race!
Can anybody help decipher this "manual" I received from the seller of the Euro switch I purchased particularly the "Width Lamp Sensitivity" and the "Low beam sensitivity". I'm guessing the low beam sensitivity is set to the point at which you want your low beams to turn on the and width lamp sensitivity is how sensitive it is? If so, then why could I not set the width lamp sensitivity in bright conditions?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dAfeL3iUt12yYcvHcZkz3aya64qJOsAZLoC6a9Bw_qM

Figure 1: Mode switching---- Which modes are there?
1. Tunnel mode (Reaction time:1s) Indicator Light Flash once
2. Normal mode (Reaction time:3s) Flash twice
3. Delay mode (Reaction time:5s) Flash three times

Figure 2: Auto fog lamp setting--->What does it do?2,The front fog lamp does not turn on automatically with the low beam (Flash twice)

1,The front fog lights are automatically turned on with the beam (Flash once)
Figure 3:Width Lamp sensitivity---> sensitivity when you drive into tunnel? how can you put high or low sensitive?
1,Set the current brightness to indicate the wide lamp sensitivity (Flash twice)
2,The current brightness is too bright and the setting fails (Does not flash)

Figure 4: same questions as 3
1,Set the current brightness to indicate the low beam sensitivity (Flash three times)
2,The current brightness is too bright and the setting fails (Does not flash)

Figure 5: AUTO file Turn on off/front fog lamp manually---what does it do?
you can turn on/off front fog lamp manually according to the operation of figure 5.

Figure 6:AUTO file Turn on off/rear fog lamp manually---what does it do?
you can turn on/off rear fog lamp manually according to the operation of figure 6.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
The "width lamp" is your parking lights.

Width lamp sensitivity determines when (brightness) the parking lights will turn on. Low beam sensitivity determines when the low beams will turn on.

Note that in some (?) states, it's illegal to drive with just the parking lights on.

If you want to "skip" the parking lights, just set your low beam sensitivity immediately after you set the width lamp sensitivity. The reason this works is because you're basically telling the switch to turn on parking lights and low beams at the same time. The low beams would turn on b/c it has a higher priority than the parking lights. At least this is how it works on mine. I tested by decreasing the brightness of lights hitting the sensor until any lights turn on, and I confirmed that my lights go from DRL-only all the way to low beams.

Regarding it being too bright outside to set the sensitivity.... my seller said I can set mine at any time, and it will save the new settings. I noticed that even if I get the "success" tones on mine, it doesn't turn on the headlights any time sooner than what I configured in the past. So I'm guessing that mine also has a threshold of how bright it can be outside in order to successfully save the settings. Kind of sucks when the sun is setting, others' lights are turning on, and mine don't turn on until it gets a little bit darker.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
What is the original language for the manual? Is there a page in German?

I'd have to bet it's in Chinese. My seller sent instructions containing a Chinese portion and a barely-English portion. I had to get a co-worker to translate the Chinese characters for me for clarity.

Xdpker

Ready to race!
What is the original language for the manual? Is there a page in German?

It's English, that's the email I received from the seller with the drive document.

The "width lamp" is your parking lights.

Width lamp sensitivity determines when (brightness) the parking lights will turn on. Low beam sensitivity determines when the low beams will turn on.

Note that in some (?) states, it's illegal to drive with just the parking lights on.

If you want to "skip" the parking lights, just set your low beam sensitivity immediately after you set the width lamp sensitivity. The reason this works is because you're basically telling the switch to turn on parking lights and low beams at the same time. The low beams would turn on b/c it has a higher priority than the parking lights. At least this is how it works on mine. I tested by decreasing the brightness of lights hitting the sensor until any lights turn on, and I confirmed that my lights go from DRL-only all the way to low beams.

Regarding it being too bright outside to set the sensitivity.... my seller said I can set mine at any time, and it will save the new settings. I noticed that even if I get the "success" tones on mine, it doesn't turn on the headlights any time sooner than what I configured in the past. So I'm guessing that mine also has a threshold of how bright it can be outside in order to successfully save the settings. Kind of sucks when the sun is setting, others' lights are turning on, and mine don't turn on until it gets a little bit darker.

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. Parking lights is the setting on the knob between Auto and Low Beams? It's just DRL and running lights in the back? Also which light did you buy? Do you have a problem with it flashing on and off during twilight hour when it's right on the cusp of the light setting?

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. Parking lights is the setting on the knob between Auto and Low Beams? It's just DRL and running lights in the back? Also which light did you buy? Do you have a problem with it flashing on and off during twilight hour when it's right on the cusp of the light setting?

Yup that's the parking light setting.
Parking lights in this car: dimmed DRL, front amber side markers, rear tail lights.

Tbh, I just picked a random auto switch + auto light sensor package off of aliexpress, and I'd have to think they're all pretty much the same.

Sometimes. What sucks is when the light from the rising or setting sun just hits the sensor for a moment, which could turn off the lights. Then once a bit of shade hits, the light would turn on. If you face that situation frequently in your commute, definitely don't use the tunnel mode. Another thing to watch out for is when you're in a lit tunnel or underpass, especially if you're not moving. The lights from the tunnel or underpass might be bright enough to trigger your sensor to turn off your headlights (happened to me with the default sensitivity calibration).

Overall, I do kind of regret getting the automatic headlight retrofit, but I knew it wouldn't be perfect. At least it's cheap.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

cb1111

I'd have to bet it's in Chinese. My seller sent instructions containing a Chinese portion and a barely-English portion. I had to get a co-worker to translate the Chinese characters for me for clarity.

It's English, that's the email I received from the seller with the drive document.

I suspected that it was originally Chinese but figured that the translation in German might shed light on what a width lamp was.

In Europe there is what we call parking lights (Standlicht) where both sides are illuminated and Parklicht (the "real" parking light) where only one side is illuminated based on the position of the blinker stalk.

The Parklicht is used to indicate (I guess the width?) the boundary of the car when parked on a dark street.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Can’t help with instructions but FWIW I installed an auto switch in my 17 Sport and could never get the adjustment to actually work.