GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ethanol or Methanol or octan boost

Ahmed Ali

Car(s)
Mk7
I have mk7 1.2 model 2013

In that period, my country is going through a problem of poor quality of gasoline, and this is affecting some cars, especially those that depend on turbo, and it has become a problem in the engines of those cars, some of my friends told me to add (ethanol) to improve the quality of gasoline and raise the octane number, and the other says that Ethanol There are cars equipped to put it and cars that are not equipped and it will affect the hoses of the gasoline cycle and told me to add ( octan Booster) ready and packed that is sold in fuel station

The last question if ethanol approved to our cars from VW, what the difference between ( Ethanol and Methanol )

Thanks 🙏

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
VWs are all ethanol compatible, since they are sold worldwide and some markets put 15% or more ethanol in their fuels (Brazil, for example). Ethanol is great for octane boosting but also hurts gas mileage. Octane booster isn’t much money, shouldn’t add more than a few dollars per fillup.

I think you’re good either way, whatever is easier for you. Just don’t run pure E85, you only need an E20 blend to make up for any deficiencies in your gasoline quality.

Last edited:

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Methanol is an aftermarket performance product that requires retrofitting an injection kit that adds methanol to the throttle body. You definitely don’t want to / need to do that for your purposes. Just run an E20 blend and youMll be a-okay

Ahmed Ali

Car(s)
Mk7
VWs are all ethanol compatible, since they are sold worldwide and some markets put 15% or more ethanol in their fuels (Brazil, for example). Ethanol is great for octane boosting but also hurts gas mileage. Octane booster isn’t much money, shouldn’t add more than a few dollars per fillup.

I think you’re good either way, whatever is easier for you. Just don’t run pure E85, you only need an E20 blend to make up for any deficiencies in your gasoline quality.
Do you mean by ( hurts gas mileage) that it increases gasoline consumption, and what is the correct percentage of its use, and do you know the difference between it and methanol?

Thank 🙏

Ahmed Ali

Car(s)
Mk7
Methanol is an aftermarket performance product that requires retrofitting an injection kit that adds methanol to the throttle body. You definitely don’t want to / need to do that for your purposes. Just run an E20 blend and youMll be a-okay
I had not seen that message yet so I asked you about methanol earlier, what do you mean by E20 mixture, in my country there is only 92 and 95 gasoline.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
He means that you can safely add 20 % of ethanol to a tank of gasoline. Might be able to stretch it to 30% but I would start with 20% and see if that's enough to overcome the poor gasoline quality. Do not add straight methanol to your gas tank. It's too corrosive.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I know some dudes who run small amounts of methanol in tank. Corrosion hasn't been a real issue. I emailed VP racing about doing this with M1 methanol and they were concerned about the gasoline and methanol separating in low concentrations like this. For all of these reasons ethanol is much better option...but I get sometimes that's not a feasible option for everyone.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I know some dudes who run small amounts of methanol in tank. Corrosion hasn't been a real issue. I emailed VP racing about doing this with M1 methanol and they were concerned about the gasoline and methanol separating in low concentrations like this. For all of these reasons ethanol is much better option...but I get sometimes that's not a feasible option for everyone.
Today's cars can tolerate methanol better but still aren't designed to run on methanol like ethanol. Back in the seventies when my gasoline station in Ohio introduced gasohol as it was called. Just 10 % ethanol like today. leaded gas built up inside the gas tank and the ethanol would dissolve the lacquer and clog up the fuel filter. Methanol actually destroyed the gaskets inside the carburetors requiring a rebuild.

So I agree with you ethanol is the best option. There's always a methanol/water injection system but it's too complicated compared to just putting ethanol in the gas tank.