GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Vortex - MQB Turbo

cr_sti

Go Kart Newbie
There should be a way to trigger a failsafe. Maybe wire it to the DV to command it open. The wastegate actuator would be harder, but not impossible.

This is what they do in the Subaru world, was hoping there was a similar strategy on the MK7.

Anyway - thanks for chiming in guys, I won't diverge the thread any further.

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
Jay / RR - are your meth failsafe's able to dump boost or timing in the event of failure, or is it just a visual/audible warning to the driver?

Purely visual for me. I would love to tie it into the ECU, but I don't know how to do that with Eurodyne.

That being said, I tune for 'no meth', then add meth in as a cushion or to clean things up. I don't lean on it for octane boosts, and to be honest I'm not spraying much anyway. RR, on the other hand, has as much meth as he does fuel going into his engine :D:D;)

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Purely visual for me. I would love to tie it into the ECU, but I don't know how to do that with Eurodyne.

That being said, I tune for 'no meth', then add meth in as a cushion or to clean things up. I don't lean on it for octane boosts, and to be honest I'm not spraying much anyway. RR, on the other hand, has as much meth as he does fuel going into his engine :D:D;)
Ya I spray quite a bit, probably around 800-1000cc at full spray, but again even during the tuning I dont really see an octane boost, purely cooling as I'm always below ambient no matter how many pulls back to back I do, if I had a failure will my motor be in trouble possibly, hope to not find out I guess I could do a log with spray then log without and see the difference

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Ya I spray quite a bit, probably around 800-1000cc at full spray, but again even during the tuning I dont really see an octane boost, purely cooling as I'm always below ambient no matter how many pulls back to back I do, if I had a failure will my motor be in trouble possibly, hope to not find out I guess I could do a log with spray then log without and see the difference

If you don’t tune for that much spray, you would be losing power. The meth portion is fuel and the ecu will trim out injection to compensate. But the water portion takes up charge volume, so you’re dropping VE a bit. Also both the water and meth are slowing down the effective burn rate significantly. Without advancing timing to compensate, you’ll end up losing a good bit of power.

— Ed

railroader

Autocross Newbie
If you don’t tune for that much spray, you would be losing power. The meth portion is fuel and the ecu will trim out injection to compensate. But the water portion takes up charge volume, so you’re dropping VE a bit. Also both the water and meth are slowing down the effective burn rate significantly. Without advancing timing to compensate, you’ll end up losing a good bit of power.

— Ed

I am being tuned for it. I just never really ran a log spraying and then did a log not spraying to see what the difference would be. I have been able to run a good amount of timing. Right now we are increasing timing and boost on the e30 blend

railroader

Autocross Newbie
I did the math before but I dont remember the volume for the cm7 and cm5 nozzles I run

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
I am being tuned for it. I just never really ran a log spraying and then did a log not spraying to see what the difference would be. I have been able to run a good amount of timing. Right now we are increasing timing and boost on the e30 blend

Probably not a good idea to do a pull without it :)

How much timing did you have in the pump+ meth tune?

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Probably not a good idea to do a pull without it :)

How much timing did you have in the pump+ meth tune?
Only 7° it was just the base map, only changes really made to it were for the hpfp,lpfp, focusing more in the e30 blend tune, right now at 29psi and 12° and with 0 kr turning up the timing and up to 30psi

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Only 7° it was just the base map, only changes really made to it were for the hpfp,lpfp, focusing more in the e30 blend tune, right now at 29psi and 12° and with 0 kr turning up the timing and up to 30psi

Sounds fun. Get timing up to 15-16 up top.

Do you have upgraded map sensors? Otherwise those boost levels are out of range of the stock sensors.

railroader

Autocross Newbie

Do you have upgraded map sensors? Otherwise those boost levels are out of range of the stock sensors.

Yes I have a 4bar map, I'm sure we will get timing up there, i just want to limit torque to somewhat "safe" levels, dont feel like rebuilding or replacing my motor just yet lol

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion

Maestro allows for MAP sensor scaling, so you can actually read somewhere around 3071mbar on the stockers. Right around 30psi.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

vw671

Autocross Newbie
Maestro allows for MAP sensor scaling, so you can actually read somewhere around 3071mbar on the stockers. Right around 30psi.

I've heard 31 PSI being claimed but probably safer at 30 PSI ;) I've also heard it claimed that our cars run smoother with stock 3-bar sensors versus 4-bar sensors.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R

Cobb allows that too. But the stock sensor isn’t really accurate above 29psi relative pressure. You also can’t run the maximum that it can read as you will lose control if it goes anywhere past it’s range. A 1psi buffer is minimum IMO.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Yes I have a 4bar map, I'm sure we will get timing up there, i just want to limit torque to somewhat "safe" levels, dont feel like rebuilding or replacing my motor just yet lol

Nice. Did you upgrade both sensors? One is used for boost control, the other for load calculation and fueling.