GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT 'Stage 0' good for inspection/readiness?

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
With my old GTI I would flash back from EQT Stage 2 to Cobb's simulated stock tune to get the car ready for inspection (NYC), and never had any issues (spacer working well on the DP). For whatever reason, now that I have a Golf R, the Cobb tunes on my Accessport are greyed out, so I flashed to the 'EQT Stage 0' file that is on there. Can anyone confirm that this is basically the same thing? Been driving that way for about three days and don't have readiness yet, hoping I just need to drive more (inspection tomorrow afternoon), but now I'm thinking that maybe EQT's stage 0 isn't the same as Cobb's simulated stock tune, and I may not be able to achieve readiness with it...?

Huge thanks to anyone who can confirm that it's all good and that I just need to drive a bit more.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Can't you just pick up the phone and call EQT today and ask them?

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
With my old GTI I would flash back from EQT Stage 2 to Cobb's simulated stock tune to get the car ready for inspection (NYC), and never had any issues (spacer working well on the DP). For whatever reason, now that I have a Golf R, the Cobb tunes on my Accessport are greyed out, so I flashed to the 'EQT Stage 0' file that is on there. Can anyone confirm that this is basically the same thing? Been driving that way for about three days and don't have readiness yet, hoping I just need to drive more (inspection tomorrow afternoon), but now I'm thinking that maybe EQT's stage 0 isn't the same as Cobb's simulated stock tune, and I may not be able to achieve readiness with it...?

Huge thanks to anyone who can confirm that it's all good and that I just need to drive a bit more.

Since the purpose of this forum is to answer questions and be helpful in a meaningful way, if worst comes to worst you could try unmarrying the AP and re-installing after your inspection. This could be helpful to others as well who might be in the same boat.... Let us know how/if you resolve this...

Good luck..

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Can't you just pick up the phone and call EQT today and ask them?
I can pick up the phone and call them repeatedly and get voicemail every time, which I've done

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Since the purpose of this forum is to answer questions and be helpful in a meaningful way, if worst comes to worst you could try unmarrying the AP and re-installing after your inspection. This could be helpful to others as well who might be in the same boat.... Let us know how/if you resolve this...

Good luck..
Yeah I could do that, I'm trying to avoid changing tunes again because if this is what EQT's Stage 0 tune is for, then I should have done most of the required driving by now, and if I change tune I'll have less than 24 hours to go through the whole process again... but yeah I could just do that

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Another possible quick answer avenue is the EQT FB group that is very active. Good luck.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Is it just 1 or 2 monitors that haven't passed readiness yet? It took me about a week of driving before the last couple would fully set. I only drive ~600 miles a month though

It depends on your state's requirements but if NY doesn't use a sniffer during testing then you should be good as long as you pass readiness. I believe on my AP3 the stock map is Cobb Stage 0 IIRC, which I have been able to flash

edit: You had the same AP3 for your GTI... did you create a stock map for the Golf R like you did the GTI? I remember doing something like that back in 2018 when I first flashed the car. If you didn't do that for the R then what you might be seeing is the stock map for the GTI

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Another possible quick answer avenue is the EQT FB group that is very active. Good luck.
Cheers. I did finally get through to EQT and Ed wasn't available and the folks who were said they "didn't know" what the Stage 0 tune was for 😅

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Is it just 1 or 2 monitors that haven't passed readiness yet? It took me about a week of driving before the last couple would fully set. I only drive ~600 miles a month though

It depends on your state's requirements but if NY doesn't use a sniffer during testing then you should be good as long as you pass readiness. I believe on my AP3 the stock map is Cobb Stage 0 IIRC, which I have been able to flash

edit: You had the same AP3 for your GTI... did you create a stock map for the Golf R like you did the GTI? I remember doing something like that back in 2018 when I first flashed the car. If you didn't do that for the R then what you might be seeing is the stock map for the GTI
No it's a few of them not showing readiness. I've never had any issues before but I've always used the Cobb simulated stock tune for this, and I don't know if I've driven enough this time around to know if the tune I'm on will allow readiness. According to Cobb I need to re-instate the factory tunes, then unmarry the AP, then re-install it, and they say the Cobb tunes will then not be greyed out and I can do as I usually do. Weird because the last time I used my AP was a year ago, to do exactly that. It's unclear why they're now greyed out, and sadly I won't be able to do that and get enough driving in before I'm overdue for the inspection but that's on me! D'oh.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
No it's a few of them not showing readiness. I've never had any issues before but I've always used the Cobb simulated stock tune for this, and I don't know if I've driven enough this time around to know if the tune I'm on will allow readiness. According to Cobb I need to re-instate the factory tunes, then unmarry the AP, then re-install it, and they say the Cobb tunes will then not be greyed out and I can do as I usually do. Weird because the last time I used my AP was a year ago, to do exactly that. It's unclear why they're now greyed out, and sadly I won't be able to do that and get enough driving in before I'm overdue for the inspection but that's on me! D'oh.
Does the eqt stage 0 feel like stock power?

Might just need more miles to pass. I’ve been late on registration the last few years and it’s not a big deal, they charged like $16 for a month or two late. Maybe NY is more strict though

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Does the eqt stage 0 feel like stock power?

Might just need more miles to pass. I’ve been late on registration the last few years and it’s not a big deal, they charged like $16 for a month or two late. Maybe NY is more strict though
It think it does? And the car sounds different (a bit less aggressive) too. But I haven't pushed it since swapping tune since I have colder plugs and whatnot. Looks like I'm in for a ~$50 fine for doing the inspection within 60 days of the expiration date, but knowing NYC, every traffic cop who sees the expired sticker when it's parked will ticket me because that's how they roll, argh

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
All of the OTS tunes have CARB EOs and don't disable or affect emissions monitors.

Yes you could flash stage 0, which is a stock calibration, while still keeping the AP married. But this wouldn't be any better or different than flashing OTS stage 1 or 2.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Cheers. I did finally get through to EQT and Ed wasn't available and the folks who were said they "didn't know" what the Stage 0 tune was for 😅
EEEEQQQQTTTTTTTTT!

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
All of the OTS tunes have CARB EOs and don't disable or affect emissions monitors.

Yes you could flash stage 0, which is a stock calibration, while still keeping the AP married. But this wouldn't be any better or different than flashing OTS stage 1 or 2.
Yeah my issue is that for some reason the Cobb OTS tunes are greyed out right now and there's a mysterious 'Stage 0' EQT tune on there that I used instead and I don't know if it affects readiness monitors or not (and, er, neither does EQT)

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
The monitors shouldn't be touched by any professional/legal tuners