GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT DSG base map

londonbridge

Passed Driver's Ed
This is likely your problem. I’ve seen many issues with these piggy backs. They make for very erratic sensor signals and can do a lot of bad things. Since you have the AccessPort, why not run a real tune?

I verified with Patrick at EQT who verified with you prior to purchasing an Accessport and the EQT dsg tune that it would work fine with a JB4. I believe it has nothing to do with the JB1, other than the higher than stock torque, but it has everything to do with the high 2300-2400 rpm relative to my 20-25ish mph in my neighborhood. It’s just too much rpm and too much torque at that low cruising speed in a residential setting. Just to jumpy/torquey. Other scenarios around town are fine with the EQT file. I bought the Stratified dsg tune last week and couldn’t be happier with the Stratified file for my driving conditions and expectations. It’s much more intuitive and less black and white (minimum 2500 rpm upshift point no matter the throttle position).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
I verified with Patrick at EQT who verified with you prior to purchasing an Accessport and the EQT dsg tune that it would work fine with a JB4. I believe it has nothing to do with the JB1, other than the higher than stock torque, but it has everything to do with the high 2300-2400 rpm relative to my 20-25ish mph in my neighborhood. It’s just too much rpm and too much torque at that low cruising speed in a residential setting. Just to jumpy/torquey. Other scenarios around town are fine with the EQT file. I bought the Stratified dsg tune last week and couldn’t be happier with the Stratified file for my driving conditions and expectations. It’s much more intuitive and less black and white (minimum 2500 rpm upshift point no matter the throttle position).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The tune itself works fine with whatever ecu tune you have. However, it is the ecu tune that determines how sensitive your throttle is at any given RPM. If the JB1/4 is making the throttle so sensitive at 2500 that it’s jumpy and difficult to control, that’s not the fault of the DSG tune. With any good ecu tune, you should be able to easily modulate the throttle for smooth operation, especially at such a low RPM. Considering you’re the first and only customer to complain about this particular issue, I’m inclined to believe that the JB is making the throttle input overly sensitive. FWIW, I have many customers using my DSG tune with various other ECU tunes from many different tuners and none of them have reported any issue like this. I’m still not sure why you bought the AccessPort, yet you’re still using the JB1 instead of running a proper ecu tune.

Regardless, I’ll send you a revised tune to test with lower shift points, but that will not do anything for your throttle sensitivity issue. I really urge you to try an actual ECU tune instead of the JB. I’m also happy to hear you’re happy with the stratified dsg tune in the meantime. It’s probably similar to stock in terms of shift points.

— Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Do you experience the same thing without the JB1 (or when JB1 is a pass-through)? The JB4 made a few improvements via firmware updates to smooth out part-throttle feel, so idk how the older JB1 would be.

Even with the JB4, there are still people who say it's not smooth on part throttle.

Not bashing the JB piggybacks at all, btw. I happily ran a JB4 for 16k miles before ordering my ECU tune from Ed.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

This would be a good test. Disable the piggy back and see how the car feels with my dsg tune with the stock ecu tune.

— Ed

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Paid close attention to my DSG tune on my way to work today. There were streets that allowed me to stay in 2nd gear in the 2300-2500rpm range both in D and manual modes. No jerkiness with part throttle input.

I'd really have to believe the jerky feeling is due to the JB1.

londonbridge

Passed Driver's Ed
Paid close attention to my DSG tune on my way to work today. There were streets that allowed me to stay in 2nd gear in the 2300-2500rpm range both in D and manual modes. No jerkiness with part throttle input.

I'd really have to believe the jerky feeling is due to the JB1.

Maybe jerky is not the best way for me to describe it. It is just a lot of torque at a low speed and low gear. Any change in throttle position makes a more than necessary change in speed in that scenario. It was just that D2 was unnecessary to keep a constant 2400 rpm in that one specific driving situation. I have no problem in D3 at the same speed D3 is at 1500 RPM instead of 2400. It is just hard to maintain near-1500 in D3 with the EQT shiftpoint being 1500. I'll try to pay attention next time I take the JB1 off, but I don't remember any significant throttle sensitivity change when I installed it.

I kept the JB1 and didn't flash the ECU because my dealer assures me that even if I tune the TCU, they wouldn't deny a warranty claim if they don't see any ECU history of really high boost levels. I don't know if that will actually be true, but that's what my service adviser assures me. I don't have access to a tune shop, so flashing the TCU at home was my only option. I bought a used Accessport and added dsg tunes with the hopes I could resell when I'm finished at a later date.

Next time I go in for service and remove the JB1, I'll see if I still notice any driveability issues in that 20-25 mph scenario.

Last edited:

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Maybe jerky is not the best way for me to describe it. It is just a lot of torque at a low speed and low gear. Any change in throttle position makes a more than necessary change in speed in that scenario. It was just that D2 was unnecessary to keep a constant 2400 rpm in that one specific driving situation. I have no problem in D3 at the same speed D3 is at 1500 RPM instead of 2400. It is just hard to maintain near-1500 in D3 with the EQT shiftpoint being 1500. I'll try to pay attention next time I take the JB1 off, but I don't remember any significant throttle sensitivity change when I installed it.

I kept the JB1 and didn't flash the ECU because my dealer assures me that even if I tune the TCU, they wouldn't deny a warranty claim if they don't see any history of really high boost levels, which are masked when using a JB1. I don't know if that will actually be true, but that's what my service adviser assures me. I don't have access to a tune shop, so flashing the TCU at home was my only option. I bought a used Accessport and added dsg tunes with the hopes I could resell when I'm finished at a later date.

Next time I go in for service and remove the JB1, I'll see if I still notice any driveability issues in that 20-25 mph scenario.

That's fair. You might not need to find out if Ed provides an updated tune version with revised shift points before you remove the JB1

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
I have a new revision that is currently being tested by a handful of customers. Feedback has been positive, but I think I'll be doing another small revision for them to test before finally releasing it.

The new version shifts at lower RPM's at low throttle input, but doesn't take as much throttle to hold gears longer. This seems to address most of the requests I've received so far.

Thanks
-- Ed

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Has anyone ran FFL-3, FFL-4, or Motul Multi DCTF fluid in their DSG? Just wondering because those fluids are used in cars with more power going through the DSG, like the S5 3.0 SC. Not sure if they would be beneficial once you start adding power / tuning the DSG or not.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Has anyone ran FFL-3, FFL-4, or Motul Multi DCTF fluid in their DSG? Just wondering because those fluids are used in cars with more power going through the DSG, like the S5 3.0 SC. Not sure if they would be beneficial once you start adding power / tuning the DSG or not.

I've been running Motul DCTF in mine for the last 10k or so. No problems.

-- Ed

spelk3

Ready to race!
Car(s)
‘17 BMW xDrive35i
I have a new revision that is currently being tested by a handful of customers. Feedback has been positive, but I think I'll be doing another small revision for them to test before finally releasing it.

The new version shifts at lower RPM's at low throttle input, but doesn't take as much throttle to hold gears longer. This seems to address most of the requests I've received so far.

Thanks
-- Ed
How’s the dsg revision testing coming along?

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R

Going well... so far feedback has been very positive. Just waiting on responses from a couple more testers before I finally release it as a V2.0 file

-- Ed

BlancoGTI17

Ready to race!
Car(s)
17 GTI Autobahn
Going well... so far feedback has been very positive. Just waiting on responses from a couple more testers before I finally release it as a V2.0 file

-- Ed

When you reach the final revision like this... what would be existing customers process for getting the most up to date version, if it’s other than just emailing you directly? I’m on 1.11 just for reference. Same question would also apply to your base ECU files, just FYI for the FAQ section while we’re at it.

BlancoGTI17

Ready to race!
Car(s)
17 GTI Autobahn

So far mine has been a drastic improvement over the Cobb Sport tune. So smooth, especially vs the factory programming while slowing down to a stop. No more hucklebuck! Drive/Normal has a really wide spectrum of where it works as if I were shifting myself from puttering around town to playing on a back road. Sport mode is for attack but still feels better than factory tuning to me.