GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EPC Light no CEL, driveable.

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
I had an odd occurrence last night, was casually cruising last night, wasn't driving hard at all, and I suddenly encountered an EPC light out of nowhere. So I just pull over, and I shut off the car for a bit and restart. I drive off, and the same thing happened again. So I use my AP to look at the codes. And I got P00AF, which was likely the actuator. So, I decided to hot swap the tunes from one of my older revisions. I start driving on one of the older revised tunes, and I still got EPC. I was still able to drive on it, but the car would not allow me to push any boost. So I just drive home without boost and say fu*k it.

This morning, I decided to switch to the stage 0 tune and see how the car did, and it seemed to fix the issue for the time being, I can hit boost fine without any EPC light, and no codes popped up all day. I'm assuming it was maybe my actuator? But I'm not too sure, maybe it was a glitch. I also do plan on getting my turbo in the next month or so, so maybe I'll just stick it in stage 0 for the time being.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Try one of the other tunes again to make sure. You don't want to get a different turbo if there's a problem with the actuator. Especially if it didn't happen before on one of the other tunes.

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
Try one of the other tunes again to make sure. You don't want to get a different turbo if there's a problem with the actuator. Especially if it didn't happen before on one of the other tunes.
Ok, I'll try it again tomorrow. I kept it on stage 0 today just to be safe because I had places to go. I might switch to e30 for a bit if it doesn't give any issue.
But I do actually plan on upgrading the turbo soon! Hopefully my BDAY gift soon!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
As a side note, can the actuator get stuck between a certain tune?
No but your higher stage tunes are probably requesting more boost and after you go back to one of those tunes and get the EPC light again there's a good chance that something has gone wrong or out of adjustment with the actuator. Especially since it didn't happen before when you were running one of those tunes.

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
No but your higher stage tunes are probably requesting more boost and after you go back to one of those tunes and get the EPC light again there's a good chance that something has gone wrong or out of adjustment with the actuator. Especially since it didn't happen before when you were running one of those tunes.
Ahh that makes sense then, I'll try tomorrow and see what happens.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Ahh that makes sense then, I'll try tomorrow and see what happens.
Good luck and let us know.
I had that problem before and it was the tune but in your case you had run those other tunes previously and didn't get an EPC light.

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
Good luck and let us know.
I had that problem before and it was the tune but in your case you had run those other tunes previously and didn't get an EPC light.
Yeah, of course!
I had also done that wastegate adaptation, so I don't know if that helped or not. (Which I doubt.)
Right when I was going to say my car was running so well, I get an EPC. 🤦‍♂️😂 Luckily, it would still let me drive off.

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
Hey Jim, I swapped back to the original tune that I usually use, no problems today thus far.
It might of been a glitch or bug that was causing the car to freak out. I'll keep riding on this tune and see if anything else happens. The throttle / pedal feel seems to be back to normal after it was feeling heavy. Now it feels a-ok. Not sure what all of that was about. Guess my car doesn't like 'leisurely cruises'.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hey Jim, I swapped back to the original tune that I usually use, no problems today thus far.
It might of been a glitch or bug that was causing the car to freak out. I'll keep riding on this tune and see if anything else happens. The throttle / pedal feel seems to be back to normal after it was feeling heavy. Now it feels a-ok. Not sure what all of that was about. Guess my car doesn't like 'leisurely cruises'.
Good. After a while switch back to one of your other tunes and see if the EPC light happens again. Then you'll know for sure if it was the tune or just an anomaly.

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
Same thing happened to me today except I'm stock other than a jb4 on map6. I was casually driving home and I got the epc light as I shifted from 2nd to 3rd. Pulled over, changed to map 0, turned car back on and was able to drive home without epc light. Did a third gear pull once on an open stretch and everything seemed fine. Is it still possible to read codes if there's no epc light?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Same thing happened to me today except I'm stock other than a jb4 on map6. I was casually driving home and I got the epc light as I shifted from 2nd to 3rd. Pulled over, changed to map 0, turned car back on and was able to drive home without epc light. Did a third gear pull once on an open stretch and everything seemed fine. Is it still possible to read codes if there's no epc light?
Codes are generally stored until cleared with a scan tool. So even if restarting the car resets limp mode, you can still scan and see what codes it threw.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yes